Possible to burn up a fuel shut off solenoid?

85rollback

Reaction score
1986 idi. Great running motor. Left the key on and drained the batteries over two weeks. I mean DRAINED two brand new 900 cca batts. Now the fuel shutoff solenoid clicks like it's working, but not getting fuel to the tops of the injectors and the motor cranks great but no start. Fuel lift pump works great and getting good fuel at the top of the fuel filter right before the injection pump. I have not opened up the top of the injector pump. Could the solenoid have burned up? Thanks for reading. EDIT: FSS is working properly. The fuel shutoff valve in the bowl seems a little sluggish though. I would expect it to be free moving. I did prop the fss open on the inside per jesus freak and made sure the plunger was back, but still no fuel to the injectors. Could I have gummed up the top of my injection pump? I turkey basted out the bowl and filled with atf thinking if i then moved the plunger back and forth it would free somethin up.. Is it just gravity from the bowl to feed the pump? I don't want to take apart the pump, but if that's what I need to do I will.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It is possible to burn it up, the solenoid is cooled by flowing fuel.

chickenpot

Reaction score
yes, from everything I've read, leaving the key on for extended period of time is what would likely kill the fss. ive decided to keep a spare IP top cover in my toolbox in case i burn one up

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who had a great running engine then overheated it and had to rebuild the heads. For some reason when he put the IP back on and tried to get things started there was fuel up to the IP but none to the injectors. The problem ended up being that the pump was seized. So new pump and running great now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online