O'Reilly tie rods any good?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The tie rods on this van are worn out, and O'Reilly has 20% off $150+. 4 ends plus a psd oil filter (the $10 higher quality O'Reilly brand) gets it just over $150, so $31 off. that's comparable to RockAuto, due to $29 shipping on RockAuto.

lifetime warranty on them, and they're greasable. but are they any good?

Moog seem to be NLA for ??-91 Econolines.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered steering components from bronco graveyard and one tierod was unusable, replaced it with one from oreilly out of convenience. They seemed better than the ones from bronco honestly, you could maybe find better ones but after 1.5k miles they're fine... I wouldn't hesitate to go with oreilly again and got the cheaper ones. At this point in 2024 not sure what would be superior given the warranty, they're so easy to swap out too

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ordered steering components from bronco graveyard and one tierod was unusable, replaced it with one from oreilly out of convenience. They seemed better than the ones from bronco honestly, you could maybe find better ones but after 1.5k miles they're fine... I wouldn't hesitate to go with oreilly again and got the cheaper ones. At this point in 2024 not sure what would be superior given the warranty, they're so easy to swap out too

That's my thought. Lifetime warranty is kinda worth it, especially if it's the same cost as RockAuto, within a few dollars.

on the motorhome, i bought moog ones on RockAuto (in 2019) with the adjustment sleeves for both sides.

dropped the complete tie rod assembly from the RV

assembled the new parts as close as possible to the old and put it on. then went and had an alignment. shop said it was pretty close.

heck it could have been out of alignment before

i think i saved the old sleeves, come to think of it. maybe. I'll have to see if i can find them in the misc idi parts i have stashed away.

might just order another pair if not, it makes things so much easier.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I rebuilt the front end but a mechanic buddy was helping me and when installing the tierods he had me count the revolutions as I unscrewed the old ones and then install the new ones with the same number of revolutions. As I recall the initial setup was very close, but this only works if your front end was aligned properly. When I took the truck in for an alignment it was off by only 1 degree, so yeah close.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I've always gone with moog. some say they aren't as good as they used to be(what is?). I haven't had any issues

The only way to get them is new old stock on eBay with no warranty at all. They're not cheap either. They cost just about as much as O'Reilly's lifetime warranty ones, with the 20% off.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It`s all made in China with various price tags.
If you are not in a hurry for the part, do your
E-bay searching, and you will eventually come
across OEM/NOS.

Couple months back was reading about the quality
of the mechanical lift pumps being short lived.
Did some searching, and came across a guy selling
NOS parts. He had 2 NOS Federal Moguel Lift Pumps
for the 6.9/7.3. I hit the buy button, and think they
were $35 ea. Then the following week he listed 2 more
bought them also. Stamped made in Canada, and think
made in U.S.A also.
Noticed some also came in the blue box, but looking at
the close up pictures of them, made in China.

So do your searching...

EDIT:
I should mentioned, the NOS came in a Green box.
Part# 60278.
Did a search on the part# and looks like Carter may have
bought them out. Now listed as Carter Federal Mogul.

Goat

Last edited:

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to get them is new old stock on eBay with no warranty at all. They're not cheap either. They cost just about as much as O'Reilly's lifetime warranty ones, with the 20% off.
I've had no issues with the newer moog parts. still better than store brand stuff. and cheaper online

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I've gotten some NOS stuff from rockauto. Made in USA. Lists as clearance items.

I like moog's (value) Quicksteer line. Fullsize joints and greasable - unlike some jobber brands. Its all offshore manufacturing, so I'm not paying double for a brand with a bigger ego.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I work at oreillys. The master pro brand is cheap Chinese the precision brand is expensive Chinese and moog is half usa and Mexico made

Well I ordered "MasterPro Chassis" ones. Chinese but lifetime warranty so eh :dunno I'd be buying Chinese on RockAuto with hard to warranty parts.

I've gotten some NOS stuff from rockauto. Made in USA. Lists as clearance items.

I like moog's (value) Quicksteer line. Fullsize joints and greasable - unlike some jobber brands. Its all offshore manufacturing, so I'm not paying double for a brand with a bigger ego.

Only one Moog tie rod end is still available on RockAuto. They've probably quit making them entirely.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Well I ordered "MasterPro Chassis" ones. Chinese but lifetime warranty so eh :dunno I'd be buying Chinese on RockAuto with hard to warranty parts.

Only one Moog tie rod end is still available on RockAuto. They've probably quit making them entirely.

Just get a cheap one and grease it. (Avoid an undersized joint - check pics.) Even the cheap stuff lasts an incredibly long time with regular greasing. Quicksteer is the fanciest TRE I have bought in 20 years going.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Get my moog off amazon usually. Them store brands have a reason for "lifetime warranty" You're gonna need it lol

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Get my moog off amazon usually. Them store brands have a reason for "lifetime warranty" You're gonna need it lol
Try finding all 4 Moog tie rods for an 89 E350 on Amazon

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend XRF. https://www.xrfchassis.com/parts-balljoints.htm

For alignments, I do my own using a cheap laser level (hardware store one about 12" long). I use the rear rims to shoot a reference mark in front and behind (set up 2x4's) to determine the centre line, then shoot the front tires and adjust for centre and also toe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online