New IP

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Actually, new everything! I was planning to replace my 120k mile IP with a slightly upgraded one from Classic Diesel due to black smoke, high EGT's, and I was having a hard time getting the timing right and then the truck died, wasn't getting any fuel. So, I took that as my sign to get to work. I bought new everything: 90cc injection pump, lift pump, injectors, return lines, fuel filter, glow plugs, glow plug solenoid. I figured it was easiest to access all that stuff while I had it apart. All back together now and I'm not getting fuel at the injectors. I am getting fuel out of the bleed valve on the filter. Have I missed something? Was it possible to put the pump in wrong? 180 degrees out on the timing or something? Or does it just take longer than I expect to work fuel through the system? I didn't want to keep cranking in case that's ******* the dry injection pump. I guess my next thing is to loosen the fuel supply line at the IP to see if I have fuel there. I can continue on with basic checks, just wanted to check with more experienced people to see if there is something glaring that I may have missed or done wrong. I replaced the IP once before about 12 years ago and don't remember having any problems - but that was a long time ago and my brain is much older now!

Also, I replaced the glow plug solenoid because I was not getting the clicking anymore after the wait to start light goes off. New glow plugs and new solenoid and still no clicking. Light stays on 20-30 seconds, but no clicking after it goes off. Do I need to replace the rest of the GP controller?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So make sure your fuel shutoff solenoid is energized, then as for getting fuel from the filter head to the injectors with a freshly rebuilt pump you're going to need to crank it a lot. Easily 3-4 reps of 30-40 seconds at a time. Make sure all lines are cracked at least 1/8-1/4 turn loose.

Just make sure to give the starter time to cool down.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Great, thanks all! I only have one line cracked, I'll loosen the rest and keep trying. I hadn't thought to double check the shutoff solenoid - it was working before but I never tested it on the new pump.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I like to check the injectors while letting the starter cool off. When all 8 or at least 6 (I can be impatient) have fuel sitting on top of the line nut, I'll tighten them lines all back up and then try to start the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan

Staff online