Mobile socket storage?

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just gonna post here in the IDI section.

Anyone have good ways to store bigger socket sets? The metal push rails holders work okay but get rusty and the sockets always fall off anyway. There are also the vertical holders but they leave the sockets loose. Would love to have everything in a chest/drawer but it's not too mobile. I do work at home and mobile so need to be able to take things wherever and whenever. Small sets in a kit/case are easy. I have a metal 3 drawer box for all my 1/4" and 3/8" drive.
The problem specifically trying to solve is what to do with all the big heavy 1/2" drive sockets - there are a ton.. SAE and metric in both deep well and regular. Plus extensions, torque wrenches, torque limiting bars, and stuff. I keep all these in one of those plastic modular stackable totes but the sockets themselves are just loose.
Have been looking at the milwaukee packout 2 and 3 drawer bins but they're pricey ($160-180) and not sure they're the best option. Have also been considering making enclosed socket holders from wood or steel or something but just lazy.

Just my problem or others deal with something like this? Just want to be able to find what's needed and keep things organized and mobile

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have this socket tray made by blue point that has locking socket holders on it, has four or five rails and you can change if its 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2.
I'll take a photo of it when I get to work.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packouts are addictive. That’s all I’m gonna say… LOL

I mostly just use Packouts for the tools that I keep in my Dodge, my service truck is set up much differently of course.

Set of drawers for ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers and sockets (on rails in the drawers) in the doors directly behind the drivers seat, then in front of drivers side duals I keep oil, brake clean, PB Blaster, grease, fuel additive etc in there, its… not very organized in that door. Above the drivers side duals is where I keep my power tools, impact sockets, chisels, punches, prybars, and inverter with Milwaukee and Dewalt chargers (yes I have lots of both brands I’m really evil lol.) And in the drawer behind the drivers side duals is where I keep chains, binders, ratchet straps and a large vehicle battery charger.

Then on the passenger side, in the tall door just behind the cab, I keep big sledgehammers, rock bars, tow straps, Milwaukee Rocket light tower, and an acetylene torch. There is access to the bed from that compartment, which I really like. Next door down the line, in front of my passenger side duals, is where I keep welding rod, my helmet, wire brushes, a pack of leather welding gloves, and other welding gear. Then above the passenger side duals, I have shelves and bins along the back of the compartment, with small parts and lots of wiring pieces and tools, and I also keep filters and filter wrenches in there. And then behind the duals on the passenger side, I have a trash bin. I’d like to figure out how to mount a shop vacuum in there, so I’ve got a ways to go getting things set up. Never seems to end. Very handy though. In the bed is where I keep floor jacks, a cooler, spare tires, and a welder generator on a removable skid.

Sorry to rob this thread…

If you have a crossbed tool box, then I would recommend Packouts… but be careful… they are addictive…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
This Lil guy.

I also have a packout I used to throw in the back of my station wagon. Sadly it doesnt fit in my Audi.. So its a garage tool box now

You must be registered for see images attach

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha the blue point looked like a Milwaukee piece on first glance. Great suggestions something like that and a pack out may be the best long term solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online