Mitsubishi Starter Rebuild Kit

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's time to rebuild the OEM Mitsubishi Starter . Does any one know where can i locate/find a rebuild kit ...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you armature is not melted down before dumping money into it.
Or that your brush holder hasn't been arcing against the motor's rear cap so hard there are now craters of missing aluminum in the area the two make contact...

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter been working but dragging , Spin's the 7.3 Slow . There is a local starter repair shop in town, He charges $60 labor plus parts to completely rebuild it . Or i can do it my self.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to locate a Mitsubishi Starter rebuild kit

You must be registered for see images attach

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the starter apart and it was soaked with oil ...

ONE THING I LEARNED after i screwed it up is the silver soldiering must be done with high temp big massive iron or by spot wield to wield / solider the new brushes to the field coil . What that being said it coasted me a new field housing with new style removal coil . I have $164 ( $120 lesson include new field housing and starter guy labor + $45 rebuild kit ) total into my OEM Mitsubishi starter that lasted 24 years and hope to get plenty years outa of it .

I just did not want to buy after market Chinese sheep Shitz starter for almost what i put into mine . Would i do it any different pro yes ( take it to the starter guy directly) could saved me $60

armature cleaned real well and shined like a diamond

All and all i happy with the result , The truck start as soon as the key turn . Here is a few pictures of the Kit part # and the inside

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4343.jpg
    IMG_4343.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4341.jpg
    IMG_4341.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4345.jpg
    IMG_4345.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that kit. When mine went it was the solenoid... I was unable to find a replacement, what are you doing about yours? I didn't have much time so I had to buy a rebuilt (it was $500+ from Napa in Canada with 3 day delivery, $130 from advanced auto in the states and was in stock). I would have rather rebuild using quality components.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solenoid checked OK .My issue was slow cranking due to worn out brushes as you can see along with crud /oil soaked .

The ony from Advance , Auto zone , Orielly and most of these guys are the reman cheep china **** that i refuse to support

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I sure hope the arameture copper brush area was not reinstalled looking like that. New brushes will not last long with that eating them up. Also those gaps in the comutater needs to be cleaned out too. Usually this kind of work is done on a lathe.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope the arameture copper brush area was not reinstalled looking like that. New brushes will not last long with that eating them up. Also those gaps in the comutater needs to be cleaned out too. Usually this kind of work is done on a lathe.

Yes that was cleaned real well , I dropped the Starter at the starter guy and he gone thru it part of the $60 i was trying to save ;Really

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my starter/alt/gen rebuilder is more than happy to sell me parts, I keep a set for field repairs. Solenoids are only avail from Brazil now and they're $50 ea. He's prolly my oldest contact in the automotive business at this point. most of our elders who we grew up with have passed on.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up most my young life across the Atlantic Having locally made parts with pride was not an issue what so ever , It was a treat to have some parts imported to us that was MADE IN USA as it was quality reputable parts .Latter on i moved to this great nation over 25 years ago and witnessed the major go down hill fast market with it's Parts majority made in cheep low quality China . Now its the other way around when i need parts ..cookoo world if you ask me .

It took me over a week to locate an GKN CV joint for the TDI VW , But you could pick one up and get the 2nd one for free at the local parts store if you need a Chinese one

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up most my young life across the Atlantic Having locally made parts with pride was not an issue what so ever , It was a treat to have some parts imported to us that was MADE IN USA as it was quality reputable parts .Latter on i moved to this great nation over 25 years ago and witnessed the major go down hill fast market with it's Parts majority made in cheep low quality China . Now its the other way around when i need parts ..cookoo world if you ask me .

It took me over a week to locate an GKN CV joint for the TDI VW , But you could pick one up and get the 2nd one for free at the local parts store if you need a Chinese one
having lived and worked in mainland China, I can definitely attest there is a wide variance of quality when it comes to anything they produce. If you want it cheap, they'll spec/build/sell it to you cheap. If you want quality, they will spec/build/sell it to you with an according price tag. want cheap? you'll find it at the dollar store. want quality? you'll need to shop elsewhere. As consumers, most Americans have no grasp on that concept.