IDI to cat 3116???

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
anyone that read the thread "towed the guesthouse" will remember that i mentioned getting adually to pull it and swapping motors. well im getting ready to do such a thing. i have a cousin that can get me a cat 3116 for a good price. can anyone tell me anything about this motor?? any opinions on if its worthwhile? thank you.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not that good of a motor if I remember correctly. OK at the lower hp ratings but once you get above 250hp (Max stock rating of 330hp) the bottom ends dont hold up long.

That is if I am thinking of the right kitten LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
way too long to fit unless you split the radiator. long stroke, excellent torque, as justin said, dont pump it up much.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
If I remember right, its one of only a few Cats that has any chance of shoe horning into a 3/4 or one ton. Oh yeah and take note. Cat has a great rep for having parts availibility but you usually pay dearly for it. Sounds like a cool project.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone that read the thread "towed the guesthouse" will remember that i mentioned getting adually to pull it and swapping motors. well im getting ready to do such a thing. i have a cousin that can get me a cat 3116 for a good price. can anyone tell me anything about this motor?? any opinions on if its worthwhile? thank you.

I am un-familiar with that particular CAT designation; is it V-8 or inline-6 ??

Way back before anyone offered a diesel in a 1-ton truck, there were several early- to late-70s Fords running around with 3208-CATs.

As unique as those old Fords were, it is a shame that no one around here saw fit to keep them from the scrappers; nobody but poor people around here, so their decisions are always based on scrap-iron price instead of nostalgia. :confused:

An older designation for the 3208 was 1116 or 1166 or 1160 or somesuch; same engine, just numbered different.

I have driven a lot of the 3208s in NA configuration, 3208T single turbo, and 3208TT genuine twin-turbo --- not compound turbos; all in "Louisville-Line" Fords, such as L8000s and L9000s.

The 3208s were no 400 Big Cam Cummins, but they were plenty of engine for anything of F700 size or smaller.

5-speed Clarks with :puke: 2-speed axles were often the combo that transmited the power to the ground. ;Really

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3116 is an inline six, lots of them in top kick GM,s . Very expensive to work on as the aftermarket hasnt stepped up on the parts availability, there is some but some stuff is cat only and very high.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like your problem with towing "guesthouse" isn't the IDI, it's the truck. I feel like if you are going to get a special tow vehicle for it, maybe your time and money should be spent sourcing an F450 or F-superduty and putting in the power plant of your choice, be that IDI, Cummins, DT360/466 or some sort of Cat, maybe a 3208. Maybe even just a 7.3 PSD 94-97. I feel like my truck would definitely be up to the task of hauling something that heavy but with the 3/4 ton brakes and other limitations it might be just way too scary to enjoy the ride.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
from the sounds of things its better to stick with my idea of the DT360. i think theres a reason that no ones swapping cat motors. just didnt really know what that reason was.

diesel jd- when i looked at the camper i had a sneaking suspiscion it would tow hard but thought it would be ok. towing it home with dads truck (03 superduty 5.4 gasser) i thought oh this tows much better than i expected! til i hooked up to it... my truck is maxed on the egt and running 220 engine temp just pulling 55 on relatively flat ground. and it does work the truck around pretty good. to the point that i think it will be very fatiguing to tow very far with it. if i had the time my dream truck is an f-superduty chassis with a crewcab on it with a cummins or dt. i just dont want another 2 year long $8000 project. i have one of those already. at the most i just want the motor swap and a possible paint job. i also dont think the 1st gen powerstrokes were enough of an improvement to justify the horribly expensive maintainence stuff.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The 360 is a way better idea. It as almost the exact same size as the 5.9 cummins(360c.i.d) and with the wet sleaves they are dam near a run for ever engine. IH says the 360 can be easly made to 400hp with no adverse affects.

I am still contemplating putting one in my 86 instead of the PSD just so i can keep my dash. Just every part needed(i.e. flywheel, motor mounts,trans adapter) will all have to be custom made for the 360 though

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Don't walk....RUN AWAY from the splatterpillar.3116 is best known as the worst Yellow Diesel engine ever produced!Get a 2 stroke detroit.4-53T or a 6V53TT.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I think the 408 is about the same size as a 5.9L so it should in theory fit.The 466 would fit but you would have to make a doghouse in the firewall....and you could set the vavles while riding down the road(why not?We set the timing on a 350 going down the highway towing a race car in a old bread truck the team once had....That was interesting....

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound like "that Dodge guy", but a Cummins B would be the easiest to install. Taking in to account all of the peripheries, there would be less fab'ing and thinking to make it fit and work right.
Travis..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't think the turbo IDI can do it you definitely want the 12 Valve Cummins or DT360. Any of these other swaps are going to be a nightmare. I don't get why a 360, which supposedly uses an SAE#3 bellhousing like our 6.9 and 7.3s and the 'stroke can't just get take an SAE#3 to Ford Diesel tranny adapter from an IDI or Powerstroke. I guess you're still left with then a custom clutch setup possibly and some other details there I hadn't considered. I don't know how expensive all that could be. After that can the ZF 5 handle a lightly modified 360? I guess you'd have to look at how well they do behind heavily modified PSD and 12V Cummins. I really honestly ahve no idea. I know next to nothing about the ZF unfortunately.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was the 5 speed that came behind the powerstrokes? I know mine was a ZF something . anyway it was modded to a little over 300 HP and that trans never gave me any trouble at all.