Hydroboost Conversion

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to to swap from vacuum to hydraulic powered brakes.
Looking for a kit, wondering if anyone has already been there and can recommend a quality system.
Planned on bolting a Wildwood master w/progressive valve.
Doing a '03 SD axle swap.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid plan.
I’m currently struggling with “out of stock “ vacuum pumps…no surprise really, everyone using them goes through 2 or 5 per year.
Good luck!
I’m exploring the electric alternatives…doesn’t look promising.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my vacuum pump last month. Got it from O'reilly's auto parts, but had to order it because no auto parts stores near me had any instock. The manager reluctantly honored my limited lifetime warranty since the pump was 3 years old. He said the warranty was for manufacture defects, not for normal wear and tear. I had to pay an extra $25 because the new pump was not a remanufactured pump like my old one.
I really would like to convert to hydraulic brakes but can't afford it at this time.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my vacuum pump last month. Got it from O'reilly's auto parts, but had to order it because no auto parts stores near me had any instock. The manager reluctantly honored my limited lifetime warranty since the pump was 3 years old. He said the warranty was for manufacture defects, not for normal wear and tear. I had to pay an extra $25 because the new pump was not a remanufactured pump like my old one.
I really would like to convert to hydraulic brakes but can't afford it at this time.
I’m waiting on a reply from O,Reilly’s…whatever they come up with will be a temporary fix…I’ve about had it with PVPFS (Post Vacuum Pump Failure Syndrome)…similar to PTSD…without the firefight.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Some people piece them together. I dont know if there's a kit.
I have a hydroboost PS pump if you're interested, I got it from Russ but never used it.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just use OEM parts. You can get them new/refurbished. I’ve done quite a bit of testing in this space. If you want a list of part numbers let me know.
Part numbers would be great!
Thank you Sir.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit the Stickies.
And godspeed finding in stock kits

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I’ve not done hydroboost on my ferd yet but my 84 square body has a hydro boost set up and will lock up the 40” boggers in a heart beat.

I’m sure the time to swap will be well worth it in the end.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an F-Super Duty, well actually two of them now. Both have hydroboost brakes, which in these trucks perform absolutely amazing.

On my 91 which I have had a fair amount longer than my 94, I put an electric vacuum pump from a 99-07 Super Duty truck to operate the HVAC system. It does just fine, haven’t had any problems with it.

The 94 has a serpentine belt, so eliminating the vacuum pump would be much more difficult… also a non AC, stripped down bare bones truck… only options were diesel engine, automatic transmission and blue paint… nothing else. Nothing.

My understanding is that when the City of Wichita wanted to upgrade the fleet in 94, they were looking forward to the new Powerstroke engine, but later learned they would have to wait another year to get one with an automatic transmission, as no 94.5 PSDs had automatic transmissions, at least from the factory. So they settled for the IDI, which to my understanding they bought a batch of in ‘90, so it was already well proven to them.

It could also be that they wanted the last IDIs they could get, and placed a large order in ‘94. But there are lots of old City of Wichita trucks from ‘90 and ‘94, many IDI/E4OD trucks, and ‘96, ‘99, and ‘04, floating around, at least in my area and mostly further south. Definitely not the first one I’ve seen, plenty of dark blue, City of Wichita, old Ford trucks floating around, I have seen 351, IDI, 5.4 and PSD trucks bearing their mark and the dark blue paint.

Older trucks were 300 I6s and red, usually…

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Both have hydroboost brakes, which in these trucks perform absolutely amazing.
Granted I'm not planning to switch to rear disc brakes, But I'm sure that the hydroboost will still perform wonderfully when I get it installed and the truck running. I don't mind the vacuum assist, but with all of the vacuum pump troubles lately, I don't mind switching.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So
Dumb question, why not fab up a push/ pull cable for the vacuum module?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty