How to set the timing on your 6.9 or 7.3 IDI and how to buy timing equipment.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the channel down and I’m not able to go back and edit this sites links. If you have any questions I can answer let me know.
Do you know of a video that shows how to use the complete DTI model 3300s kit ? The instruction manual is good, but I’m more of a visual person

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, would any of you mind posting a pic of the wrench you've modified/used to loosen the IP?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, would any of you mind posting a pic of the wrench you've modified/used to loosen the IP?
No pic needed. I use a stubby wrench on the passenger side and a full-size wrench that I ground down the thickness to @ 3/16" on the passenger side.
You're only going to be able to turn the nuts one flat at a time. It can be frustrating at first. Just try to relax and stay with it and it eventually becomes pretty easy once you get in the zone. ;-)

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pic needed. I use a stubby wrench on the passenger side and a full-size wrench that I ground down the thickness to @ 3/16" on the passenger side.
You're only going to be able to turn the nuts one flat at a time. It can be frustrating at first. Just try to relax and stay with it and it eventually becomes pretty easy once you get in the zone. ;-)
I did it! Was alot easier than I thought.. just a lines width towards the passenger fender. Sucks the timing kits are so expensive..

dmillerwelding

Reaction score
I got a question, I'm using the Gunson Adapter but the timing light I have reads between 3000-10000 RPM when the engine is at 2000k. If I giggle the pulse adapter clamps just right it will read correctly for a second. Is there a better way to get the pulse adapter clamp attached to the injector line and adapter? Do I need to sand the injector line a bit to get a better contact area? It was cleaned before I tried to check timing.
I'm having the same problem with mine. I'm at idle and the rpms on the timing light are in the 9000's. I've sanded the line, tried mounting the the piezo in different spots, cleaned off the contacts on everything involved... for the life of me I can't get it to calm down. I'm starting to think its just a POS but everything I find on them leads me to believe they work just fine. @JHolt55 did you ever figure yours out?

JHolt55

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with mine. I'm at idle and the rpms on the timing light are in the 9000's. I've sanded the line, tried mounting the the piezo in different spots, cleaned off the contacts on everything involved... for the life of me I can't get it to calm down. I'm starting to think its just a POS but everything I find on them leads me to believe they work just fine. @JHolt55 did you ever figure yours out?
Kind of, it still often does the 9900 rpm thing. I just sanded the line, hit it with some cleaner, then cleaned the piezo clamp. Tighten it down evenly with the little thumb nuts on the clamp. Ground to the injection line close to the clamp and make sure it's clean. I might try out a o-ring terminal next on the clamp since the clip doesn't really grab it good anywhere. It's all a major pain but I can get it working good for about 30 seconds which is enough to check timing. Basically just struggle with it till it works, it will make you question why you even try.

dmillerwelding

Reaction score
Kind of, it still often does the 9900 rpm thing. I just sanded the line, hit it with some cleaner, then cleaned the piezo clamp. Tighten it down evenly with the little thumb nuts on the clamp. Ground to the injection line close to the clamp and make sure it's clean. I might try out a o-ring terminal next on the clamp since the clip doesn't really grab it good anywhere. It's all a major pain but I can get it working good for about 30 seconds which is enough to check timing. Basically just struggle with it till it works, it will make you question why you even try.
Haha sounds about right. Like most things with these old trucks; when it doesn't work you just have to try again. Thanks for the reply @JHolt55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty