hey check out these axles!!!

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I found some axles for sale seems like a good deal to me what do yall think?

they posted:

Axles are off of a ford. They r Dana 60 front. Sterling ten and a quarter rear. Disk brakes

I texted them and gathered this:

Asking: 800

says he thinks its a early 2000's F350 gonna ask friend

All disk brakes

retexted me sayin his friend said 04 F250 most likely 3.73 limited slip
says he may have posted wrong might be 10 and a half not sure how to know the difference

gonna send pics

I typed like I did to show you exactly what I'm workin with...

I have never heard of a 10.5 axle do they exist? what are the benefits? what are the ways to tell them apart?

Would I be wrong asking the guy to open the cases and send me pics of the internals and maybe some stampings or something?

he lives around 80 miles away...

and comparing the 10.25 to the 10.5 what might be good counter offers for each?

i'm gonna try to take these on the ultra cheap...

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Yes all 99- 05 super dutys used 10.5 sterling rear axles and if it has disk brakes it is deffinetly a 10.5. I paid 900 for my set and they had 115,000 miles on them. Make sure you get the track bar, and lower u-bolt plate for the drivers side and all steering linkage and you will be able to bolt them in and go .you just have to build a track bar bracket. Oh and you will have to buy super duty wheels cause they are a different bolt pattern.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup superduty specific wheels. also probably a solid dana 50, unless it is from an F350. These 99 and newer axles use unit bearings in the front, which can be costly to replace. 800 doesnt seem like a terrible price, get everything you can. Steering assembly, hubs, brakes, etc... Like said before the trackbar and lower u-bolt plates. The 99 to 2004 axles can be bolted in place with the original spring spacing, i believe its just a hair off, but IIRC it does work.

Also probably has "auto" and "lock" hubs, which can be problematic,My buddys hubs on his 01 PSD wouldnt unlock and was spinning the whole front end all the time. We put TTB Dana 50 hubs that I had laying around on it. We questioned whether or not it would work, did a slight test on a gravel road, the used em when he did a truck pull a week later. They held up great. Certainly cheaper then buying a set of warns made for the truck.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I'll keep the hub idea in mind, is there any way to tell the solid 50's and 60's apart?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
what would be the actual difference between the 60 and 50? are parts very different?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Heres the pics he promised

You must be registered for see images attach

What do yall think? doesn't seem that any of the running gear is included...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks to me like coil spring and radius arm mounts.

If so they are 05 and newer and need a more positive offset wheel than the 99-04 axles.

Love it when someone had NO CLUE what they are selling:idiot::idiot:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, with the pics they look like my D50/10.50 in my Ex.....

The only thing I have ever had to do to those axles is, Tires, Brakes and Shocks. It needs track bar link bushings....... I have ~111,500 on mine..... If they are from a F-250 or an Ex they may very well be 3.73's thats what mine are, and they are a good compromise.......

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
What do yall think they are worth the way they sit? I might just pass for now as I've had almost all I can stand with tracking down parts for the next couple of years and wait till I can find a "plug and play" set... but if I can get em for the right price... thoughts? The guy wants me to come look at them and seems fairly eager but not desperate, btw.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take and measure the coil spring mounting surface from C to C of left to right side, if same or very close to your truck's 2wd springs width, you could conceivably drop that in under your truck and only have to fab some radius arms and arm brackets for the frame, or get those from a wrecker etc. That would be a nice riding 4x conversion btw...

JM2CW

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
ITEMS NEEDED! / wanted...
- 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axles (if possible two steering axles)

JM2CW

fwiw I know where to get rockwells in gatesville TX. I think 2 steering ones go for 1600 maybe more maybe less can't remember, I'll ask my buddy if your interested