Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i'm not liking my odds of this NOT getting really expensive really quick.

BTW, i stopped by carquest and got some dye and put it in the coolant. i will verify my leak tomorrow.

i guess it would be a good time to ask for all the specs for bearing clearance and torque specs.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
If you aren't (and I didn't see that you were planning to) changine the lifter/push rods/rockers...... be sure to put them back in the same position they were removed from.

i don't know if this is related but sometimes when i start the truck i will get really weird "liquid clunking" sound. yes i know terrible description but is the best i know how to describe it lol. it has only happened maybe 3 times since i have had the truck. seems to happen after the truck has sat for quite a while. it did if for maybe 5 seconds after it sat for 2 months for my turbo. sitting overnight it won't do it.

i "think" i have seen a couple threads on hear this past summer about others with a similar noise.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted the bearing spec's a while back when I rebuilt the 6.9. I'll find it and post it for ya.

Yes, a compression test is a great idea as is a used oil analysis.

Heath

Black dawg

Reaction score
i don't know if this is related but sometimes when i start the truck i will get really weird "liquid clunking" sound. yes i know terrible description but is the best i know how to describe it lol. it has only happened maybe 3 times since i have had the truck. seems to happen after the truck has sat for quite a while. it did if for maybe 5 seconds after it sat for 2 months for my turbo. sitting overnight it won't do it.

i "think" i have seen a couple threads on hear this past summer about others with a similar noise.

does it sound like hitting your hand over the end of a piece of tubing? I am guessing bad lifter.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i got it figured out!

My truck just does not like being driven in the winter. last year it hardly saw any snow b/c of the broken leaf spring mounts, winter before that it sat b/c of tranny issues. hate to see what it is going to do for next winter.:mad:LOLcant get much "worse" than head gaskets. i will need for find a small beater car to drive if i am gonna go threw this engine the correct way.

wmoguy

Reaction score
i got it figured out!

My truck just does not like being driven in the winter. last year it hardly saw any snow b/c of the broken leaf spring mounts, winter before that it sat b/c of tranny issues. hate to see what it is going to do for next winter.:mad:LOLcant get much "worse" than head gaskets. i will need for find a small beater car to drive if i am gonna go threw this engine the correct way.

If your dead set on picking up a 2nd vehicle (which might be a wise idea, take your time, rebuild your IDI as you can and can $$ for it.

Why not get another IDI? I bet you could pick one up for about 1k, and at least you'd have another like vehicle you know about. Any used cheap vehicle you buy is highly likely it's going to have "issues"

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Why not get another IDI? I bet you could pick one up for about 1k, and at least you'd have another like vehicle you know about. Any used cheap vehicle you buy is highly likely it's going to have "issues"

true, but something nice on "gulp" gas LOL, would be good for me in this situation.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
then i would have to get a set up for WMO. that truck would then nickle and diming me like this truck did in the begining. now it is adding a bunch more 0's on the end of the nickle and diming LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true, but something nice on "gulp" gas LOL, would be good for me in this situation.
SINNER!!!!!!! :fight: :backoff :flipa :kick: :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if $$'s an issue and you're mechanically inclined and if you don't care about every feature working, look for a '77-'85 Mercedes diesel. The drivetrains are rock-solid reliable and you should see mid-20's for fuel economy ;Sweet