Grease for starter grounding surface

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What grease should be used on a starter grounding surface?
I’m slightly confused if it should be something conductive like a copper antiseize or non-conductive like dielectric grease.

I know there are electrical connection greases too so if anyone would recommend those I’m all ears… just have dialectric and antiseize handy.

Thanks!

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to read that @hacked89 mentions a thin layer of dialectric in this post:

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks James and Nero, that's an interesting point I didn't know there was grey lithium have only used white. News to me the bolts would have a part in the grounding! Ended up just putting a light coat of dialectric. The bolts are all pretty easy to access so any future changes if necesary will be straight forward

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What grease should be used on a starter grounding surface?
I’m slightly confused if it should be something conductive like a copper antiseize or non-conductive like dielectric grease.

I know there are electrical connection greases too so if anyone would recommend those I’m all ears… just have dialectric and antiseize handy.

Thanks!
This may be the ONLY question I'm qualified to answer.
Spent almost 50 years as a master electrician before retiring this year.
There's a compound we've used on conductor connections for decades that resist oxidation and increases conductivity that's called De-Ox.
In truth, the main bonding is through the mounting hardware, so all a compound would really do is help prevent it from rusting.
I've seen some very talented mechanics with the most heinous battery cable connections possible.
Make sure you don't skimp on the conductor sizes to the batteries or the two negative block connections.
I tend to go overboard and make my own 2/0 MTW cable's, with 1/0 grounds.
If you have several strands sticking out of the crimp then you can get a hydraulic wire crimper for about $50 or less, and cut your own ends.
With wire sized big enough to handle the ampacity, good tight crimps and de-ox on the battery terminals I've never had a problem.
You can even recycle old welding leads into custom battery cables.
You must be registered for see images attach

Made two of the three terminals, lots cheaper, and better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online