G Force Experienced in Suspension Learning Curve.. Questions

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the word "caster" the other day, which sent me down a rabbit hole which I am just now beginning to emerge.
I blindly ordered a RS kit, which is fortunately going to work, but need to get new springs.
The RS kit is a 2" lift, and OEM 08-16 springs will give another 2", for 4" total?
I'm now faced dealing with the rear.
In exploring options it appears as though the 08-16 stock springs will give an additional 2" lift, so if I have a 6" block from the 4" existing lift that would give me a total 6" rear lift?
If I understand correctly, the stock block will add 2", for and overall 4" rear lift if using the newer springs?
My other option would be to continue to use the existing rear spring and block by adding the super duty rear leaf spring shackle conversion?
I'd then need to replace the shocks as well?
Word is that the newer springs are a softer ride, but I plan on installing rear air bags if towing, and this is in reality just a really big SUV.
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the newer springs ride better and hold more. The newer trucks have a higher payload and towing capacity. Also I believe the springs are wider so I dont think you would be able to use the older springs in the newer hangers. If it was me. I would order the newer springs, and different size blocks and play with how it sits til you get it how you like. Then return the blocks you dont use.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oly. Girl beer.
Look up Automotive spring supply in your area.
2 in PDX just south of you, Oregon Spring and Benz spring. Call your local spring supplier and tell them your sad tale of woe.
I did a spring conversion on a '93 F350 and it was a learning curve.
About $1200 for all 4 corners, if my memory is working

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Since you are moving hangers for the newer/longer rear springs anyway, mount them lower on the frame to reduce the need for block. You can possibly roll in a shackle flip on the rear at the same time.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are moving hangers for the newer/longer rear springs anyway, mount them lower on the frame to reduce the need for block. You can possibly roll in a shackle flip on the rear at the same time.
I am.
Just got the RS front kit delivered, the rear flip kit, rear SD conversion kit, and panhard orders are being filled.
Hopefully will ship soon.
Replacing calipers, rotors, pads, bearings, and converting to hydro in the meantime.
Tearing out the clutch/brake assembly to modify the pedal later today.
From what I understand I'll still need the OEM 08-16 4" block.
Should wind up with 4" lift front, 4 1/2" rear, which is perfect for the 35" tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online