Fresh build, smoke, stumped

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh great. Now I have something else to file away in the mental filing cabinet. Pretty soon, there won't be any room left.
It was one of those things I read when initially diagnosing it, that some custom pumps require a very specific inlet pressurr., and to ask the builder. So I did :Thumbs Up

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting about the required fuel pressure at the pump. The Stanadyne DB2 manual calls for “greater than zero” to 5 psi for a stock pump, but I know the govt manuals for a HMMWV call for 4-8psi like Justin does.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was one of those things I read when initially diagnosing it, that some custom pumps require a very specific inlet pressurr., and to ask the builder. So I did :Thumbs Up
I would put an asterisk on the paperwork in @IDIBRONCO filing cabinet. You are correct that custom and modified pumps may require different inlet pressure. The R&D130 is 9 psi for example.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked tracking number.

Says I'll get everything back on Monday.

Well I guess I'll work on the camper instead this weekend. :idiot:
Dang gonna be a long weekend! Glad to hear it got sorted basically asap though

Camper? Barely knew’er!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
OK got the pump and injectors in the mail today, installed those bad boys, eyeballed the timing when installing the pump and.... NO MORE SMOKE YAHHHH runs so smooth, the engine barely moves at idle now.

I'm so exited right now.

Now to set the timing with a meter....

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I set the timing, its.... 7... Ish.

Went and drove it around the block a few times, I definitely had some residual raw fuel in the exhaust, took a bit for it all to burn out, now the exhaust is clear as can be, unless I'm really romping on it. It even turns black if I don't let the turbo spool, but that is definitely not my goal. My goal is long term reliable but not underpowered idi for hauling my camper all over the place.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I set the timing, its.... 7... Ish.

Went and drove it around the block a few times, I definitely had some residual raw fuel in the exhaust, took a bit for it all to burn out, now the exhaust is clear as can be, unless I'm really romping on it. It even turns black if I don't let the turbo spool, but that is definitely not my goal. My goal is long term reliable but not underpowered idi for hauling my camper all over the place.
Sweet! Another happy ending!

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew what a smooth running 7.3idi was like to compare mine to!

Great to see this work out for you.
These engines seem all over the place, my service truck has the smoothest running one I’ve ever been around, I can stand a nickel on end for several seconds on the core support with the engine running cold, will stay standing up for awhile if it’s fully warmed up. Our late model Cummins trucks at work vibrate/shake much more, especially cold…

Few years ago a buddy of mine had an 83 6.9, that thing ran really smooth warmed up, but sputtered cold.

6.9s sound smoother IMO, don’t know why that is…

The 7.3 that I put in my 86 shouldn’t be described as smooth running, not rough really, just not smooth.

It ran pretty rough before I rebuilt it, and the original engine in my 86 ran really rough at times… especially after the head gasket went between two cylinders…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ive never seen an idi run this smooth before, and that's saying something, as the first engine I had in my old mans crew cab had practically no hone marks. Smooth as butter, burned oil like the fuel it ran on. These engines are definitely interesting.

And I have a lot to say about the Cummins 6.7, overrated turds. But they sell like hot cakes so what do I know....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read thru your entire post, and this is why Justin is back to ONLY himself and no employees building, although he told me next time there hes making me do my own pump.LOL