Electrical Help and FIPL question

Oldstock14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a couple questions:

My trucks a 93, the water in fuel light likes to turn on and stay on even when just starting the truck up for the drive to work or to town. Sometimes it’ll be off and turn on only when the motor gets hot. Thing is, I run a wix 33417 so I don’t know what’s grounding the circuit. I also can’t find the circuit because I don’t know what the plug looks like. I’ve never had a factory style fuel filter on this truck for as long as I’ve owned it so I don’t even know what to really look for and I’d prefer not to tear into the dash to just disable it.

Question 2:

I bought a R&D 90cc pump, had to turn it down until I finish my turbo set up. Since installing the pump though, I can’t nail down the FIPL adjustment to shift like it was with the old pump. It shifts into 4th/OD WAY to early to the point I can’t even drive the truck with OD on, unless I’m cruising down the highway. I know generally we need 1.1 at idle and around 4.25 at W/O throttle at minimum. I was running around 1.0 and 4.2 and was having early shifts. Bumped it up to 1.16/4.45 and still its shifting way too early. I’m curious how these things work, does more voltage mean more “RPM range” for each gear? Any input is appreciated.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93 ferd

Attachments

• 20240723_184424.jpg
    20240723_184424.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240723_184415.jpg
    20240723_184415.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 6

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In that thread, the second post shows the voltages that fixed his shifting.....

Maybe raise your idle voltage to 1.35V......and let the high side be what it is. I’m just throwing ideas. Good luck!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
raise your idle voltage to 1.35V......and let the high side be what it is
I second that and also the referral to Dirtlegs methods....

As far as the...
does more voltage mean more “RPM range” for each gear?
That is a computer strategy calibration question, but probably yes...

You are increasing the engine load signal to the TCM and it responds with commanding more mainline hydraulic pressure and stretching out the engine speeds for each gear range.

Just curious...what kind of DVOM are you using...? I was thinking on taking a survey...

Good luck on it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll crack the fsm later and verify.
Buuuut
I remember something like adjustment of a potentiometer, more left = less
more right = more....
Back later

Oldstock14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjusted low end to 1.33 and it definitely helped. Will probably adjust it a little higher cuz it’s not quite where I want it to be but it worked.