Death wobble

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
Nice rig!.......Hey whats with these ZF tranny's?......are they just UNrebuildable......My reverse gear give me hell.......It's been rebuilt twice in the ? years, seems no one can get it right.

Also, what about going to Single mass flywheel?...........Thoughts, advice, Pro's, Con's
I here a lot of talk about Luk, but here better things about SouthBend.....Whadayatink?

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
I can't comment on SouthBend because I have an LUK in my 94.5. The single mass is so much smoother in terms of application through the pedal. I enjoy my LUK more than I can say. My buddy has a 93 IDI with a 16' flatbed and its a 10 wheeler. He has the factory clutch in it, but it just feels like complete crude. I would say either one and you will be more than satisfied.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice rig!.......Hey whats with these ZF tranny's?......are they just UNrebuildable......My reverse gear give me hell.......It's been rebuilt twice in the ? years, seems no one can get it right.

Also, what about going to Single mass flywheel?...........Thoughts, advice, Pro's, Con's
I here a lot of talk about Luk, but here better things about SouthBend.....Whadayatink?
I was in a very lucky position from years ago. Ford was warrantying DMF's without proper diagnosis and I am sitting on six DMFs that are damn near brand new. Most of the rattle issues are directly traced to the injection pump and/or injectors. uneven firing pulses are the cause of many improperly condemned DMFs I don't care for the SMF as much due to the long term wear they put on the trans. remember the DMF is supposed to buffer some of the vibration from the motor. If you are already running a SMF you might want to go synsthetic on the oil to give the gears a little more cushion.
I have had good success on rebuilt ZF's out here. I do have a gear guy who has been doing it for 30 years. I do his towing and he does my gear stuff extremely reasonable.
believe it or not, there over 890k logbook chassis miles on my carrier. the only things still orig is the frame, carrier bed and rear end.:eek:

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
I had a square nose also with a Holmes bed.......seems everyone was/is in the Towing business....LOL

Nice rig also Rich!......that was a early square nose......Correct?

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
You guys are great....I also have a massive oil leak and can't pin it down (Probably why all the bushings are shot).....I think it's comming from the back of the turbo......Any advise on that?

Then the the Fuel filter mgr......also seems to be leaking also, I know there are O rings and a fuel heater there......any suggestions?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dont really know the good or bad but i know it doesnt rattle with the smf.as far as southbend or luk????????????? i havent used southbend but have heard nothing but good about them.i have used the LUK and i have nothing but good to say about it.havent heard anything bad about either though

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a square nose also with a Holmes bed.......seems everyone was/is in the Towing business....LOL

Nice rig also Rich!......that was a early square nose......Correct?

nope that was a 94 super duty 17' jerr-dan.was automatic but converted to a zf when the e4od finally died.was a beautiful truck till i sold it.ended up not getting paid for it but got it back with a tranny that was in 5 pieces,center of the clutch ripped out and brand new 1200 dollar ebrake wiped out.they destroyed my poor little truck -cuss

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are great....I also have a massive oil leak and can't pin it down (Probably why all the bushings are shot).....I think it's comming from the back of the turbo......Any advise on that?

Then the the Fuel filter mgr......also seems to be leaking also, I know there are O rings and a fuel heater there......any suggestions?

take it to the car wash or use a hose and degrease the valley.most likely cause of the leak is turbo pedital orings or the ebpv actuator.but not uncommon for the back cover of the hpop or a hpo line.the fuel filter has a drain for the water that is also the common suspect for a fuel leak.

edit:pin holes in the bottom of the fuel filter housing is also a common issue as well as the rubber lines from the pump to the housing

Last edited:

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
Problem is, you can't see back there........Turbo has to come off.....Yes?

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
Sorry for all the OT (off topic) posts.......I know I'm shooting questions from wobble to oil leaks, please bear with me.......Maybe a mod can clean this up after the Newbie gets some insite.

Apologies again and THANKS for all the input, please keep it commin!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

I have used a SB before and now i just put VALAIR in my 97. Very affordable and customer service was #1. Yesterday I just got done with the "break in" and turned the chip to 4:eek: It smokes the tires and throws the truck sideways. It works for me;Sweet

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
Where did you order it from?.......I also need the flywheel so adds another $270 + the clutch......almost $600 for the kit

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the OT (off topic) posts.......I know I'm shooting questions from wobble to oil leaks, please bear with me.......Maybe a mod can clean this up after the Newbie gets some insite.

Apologies again and THANKS for all the input, please keep it commin!

no big deal ;Sweet

take the plastic cover off and look around with a flash light.youll be able to see the leaks