Big alternator wiring.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So according to your book and this little diagram on the alternator I want the top spar terminal to the amp meter and the post/ stud for my exciter wire, right?

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last diagram with the regulator made with the alternator doesn't show any connection to a ammeter. It shows a connection to the keyswitch(the R/G) which activates the alternator/regulator for charging, and it shows another terminal which drives a relay when it's charging(the A/C terminal). That just monitors the output and controls the charging light in the dash.

Where are you getting the "ammeter" connection? There is a "ammeter" connection referenced in that link I posted, but that is just the battery charge connection.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah my bad, I was looking at charge indicator and referring it going in an 86 which has an amp meter, not a volt meter. Normally the charge indicator wire is solid green correct?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Would you be able to email it to me directly??

No I can't. The book is on cd. It wont allow me to copy and paste or just select a page to save or email. I can only print individual pages. I will work on my scanner this morning to see if I can get that working that has been giving me problems too

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ironworker,

Something you may want to try. Download a program called CutePDF Writer: http://www.cutepdf.com/. This program allows you to "print" a document and it turns it into a PDF (What you use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view). Once installed, it adds a new "printer" to your PC. You select that printer and whatever you printed gets saved into a PDF file. That file can then be sent/shared/etc. I have used it several times and am really happy with it.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Ironworker,

Something you may want to try. Download a program called CutePDF Writer: http://www.cutepdf.com/. This program allows you to "print" a document and it turns it into a PDF (What you use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view). Once installed, it adds a new "printer" to your PC. You select that printer and whatever you printed gets saved into a PDF file. That file can then be sent/shared/etc. I have used it several times and am really happy with it.

I got a mac that program is only for windows but thanks I will research it some. Some must make a mac version

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah my bad, I was looking at charge indicator and referring it going in an 86 which has an amp meter, not a volt meter. Normally the charge indicator wire is solid green correct?

On the Ford charging systems, it was always red/green(or green/red, I forget) but they always had a dual function on there's. The power ran from the keyswitch, through the charging light which was not gounded, and it came out of the light and ran to the regulator or the internal regulator to trigger it to come online. When the alternator started charging, the regulator would feedback 12v on this line. That would put 12v on both sides of the charge light and turn it off. If something happened and it quit charging, this 12v would go away and the 12v from the keyswitch woudl turn the light on.

This alternator apparently does not have this feature, so they used a relay to do the same thing with the A/C wire. Apparently this alternator/regulator system needs a full straight 12v from the keyswitch, and it cannot be run through a bulb like the Ford systems do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaffasoft

Staff online