Big alternator wiring.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone on here running a leece neville 7706ja? It's a massive 165 amp alternator form an ambulance engine. I have all te brackets to put it on. I understand the big wires are to the battery but I have 2 different places for the exciter wire. It's from a 1988 so there is a chance it's an internal regulator right?

Any insight on this monstrosity of an alternator would be appreciated. If anything else ill be figuring it out on my own as a I go!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I forgot to snap a couple. I will get some tonight.

This is what it's going on
You must be registered for see images attach

In this whip

Nothin like a 3 dollar engine in a 2 dollar truck.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's her

M.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its only 165amp. A 3g is way more than most of us need and easy to repkace quickly if it fails.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
FarmerFrank,

Do a search on username MidnightRider. He has a Leecee-Nevile alt on his truck. It is a Cummins conversion, but I believe he brought it over from the IDI when he did the conversion.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at that link I posted previously.

The large wires; Apparently this alternator is not grounded internally to the case. One fat wire goes to the battery, the other fat wire goes to a good ground. Being ungrounded like this, you can probably do some interesting things with this unit.

There are two smaller terminals. The are the field terminals. Same as the large wires, the field is not grounded or as a regular alternator is, is not tied internally to the battery +. I believe this is also so you can do some interesting isolation and can probably run some pretty weird voltages from this thing. It would probably make a excellent portable welder. You can see in the diagrams, they do reference one of the field terminals to the battery + with a short external wire.

The other field wire needs to be more or less grounded to vary the output of the alternator. If you follow the other field wire, it goes around to a relay that is hooked to the ignition switch. This takes the field off when the vehicle is sitting so it will not run down the battery. From the relay, the field wire goes to the regulator. The B+ wire to the regulator is it's reference source, and of course it needs a ground also.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I looked in my 1987 manuals and didn't find anything. In my 1993 it has a 9 page section for the 165 amp leece neville alternator. I cant copy and post it here for some reason. If you want I can print it and fax it to you.

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I took a picture of the wiring diagram from the 1993 book

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    724.1 KB · Views: 69

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That picture answered a bunch of questions. So yes it is internal regulated. Now I have to figure out which post is the exciter and which one is for the gauge.