92 7.3 Driveshaft keeps sliding back out of carrier bearing

popcapps

Reaction score
Alright, long time listener, first time caller.

I bought this truck coming up on a year ago, and haven't gotten to drive it much, I keep finding myself fixing one problem, and then the next undriveable problem pops up.

Current issue, my rear driveshaft keeps immediately popping out of carrier bearings. After the first time, I was able to limp it back home through all the terrible thunks and shaking, took the drive shaft to a shop who replaced the u joints, carrier bearing, cleaned and greased everything, checked to make sure it was in balance, and recommended replacing the yoke on my diff, because mine was pretty worn, presumably from losing at least one driveshaft at speed. Spent $350 or so, figuring that I'd fixed the problem and would finally be able to confidently drive this truck, affectionately known as "big *****". I made it about five miles before the brand new carrier bearing did the exact same thing as the last one.

The tow truck driver thought it was weird that the front half of my drive shaft seemed to be 'floating' - it was a slip yoke coming from the transfer case, through the carrier bearing, to another slip joint right behind the carrier. It wouldn't take much to push the drive shaft one way or another, forwards or backwards. He thought maybe it was the wrong transfer case for the truck? I have not been successful at shifting the transfer case or locking the hubs into 4x4 yet, so it's making me wonder if he was right.

The previous owner, in the post on marketplace, mentioned that when he was driving home after buying this truck, the driveshaft dropped out, causing him to have to buy a new one and get the truck towed. He also stated that the C6 had been freshly rebuilt, which it visibly looks to be.

I know I need to investigate the transfer case more, since it almost seems like it's trying to push the driveshaft out the back, but I wanted to make a post and see if this is something that anyone has experience with. I guess I should also check the transmission mounts to make sure that's not moving around in ways it shouldn't be.

Is it normal to have two slip yokes on the same driveshaft?

Pic attached of potentially the fastest ruined carrier bearing in US history.

Attachments

• carrier bearing.png
    carrier bearing.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok 1 atta time
Verify a 92 had a 4x4 c6 transmission .
Second identify t case.
Third measure the various sections of the existing driveline.
Fourth post findings.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
To me it sounds like the front driveline section is too short. My transfer case has a slip yoke in it, and another right after the carrier so the first shaft does essentially float. Never had an issue with it popping out the carrier.

Confirm what your truck is, as the driveline length will be different with all configurations.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if someone did a transmission swap along the way. Try running your VIN through VIN decoder website to see if the original equipment matches what’s on the truck.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked on wikipedia...of all things...I had stopped seeing C-6's after the 1988-89 model year in trucks...but...according to them the C-6 was used in 'F' series and Econoline all the way up to 1996..!!

So...if I had followed my first impulse...I would have been so...very...wr...wro...wroo...well....you get the idea....

Learn something new every day....

By the way...somewhere along the 1987-88 model year...the C-6 finally got a needle bearing thrust washer at no#9 position instead of a thrust washer...and it fixed a troublesome failure point...Ford carried that over to the E4OD.

I kinda miss working with those things...gotta get a shop up and runnin'...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weren't the bricknose the last c6 donors?
Having a slip yolk @ t case should have saved the carrier pulling to the rear, his pic appears as tho the rear end heaved forward and shoved the driveline forward...
However usless it's gor front swing shackles thats doubtful.