7.3 idi rebuild

zach93

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 1993 f250, with a 7.3 idi. I have a blown engine in the truck and picked up a free engine a guy pulled for a spare for his 89 7.3 idi. I have a shop space to work on my truck and keep it there and was wondering if I tore my new to me spare engine apart, had the engine block, head, cam, crank, rods, etc checked by a machine shop would it save me on labor to then take all my good parts to a diesel shop and have them reassemble the engine and place it in my truck? please keep in mind I am a college student on a budget and just want it running and driving. The only aftermarket part I want to keep is my banks sidewinder turbo. I am also open to all advice or suggestions. Thanks

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you described isn't going to be cheap or quick to in service, which were two of your wants. Is there something wrong with the internals that you specifically know which is why you want to tear it down?
If not, compression/leakdown get a reseal kit and put it in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zach93

Reaction score
The reason It would need tore down is because the spare engine was pulled in running condition. But because it sat for a while it has seized up. I suspect it is the piston rings to the cylinder wall. With that being said I am not sure how to proceed with rebuilding. Since I have a free engine I was hoping to use it and get it rebuilt.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being stuck doesn't always mean it needs to be torn down and rebuilt. You're going to have to unstick it during tear down anyway so you might as well work on getting it loose before you get to that point. Then, if you succeed you've got an engine ready to go instead of a pile of parts that needs a bunch more work. If it was really running before it was pulled then I would start by pulling the glowplugs and injectors. Inspect the injectors for rust on the tips of the nozzles. If there, it would lead me to believe that water ran down the intake during storage. That might be a bit more trouble but still not necessarily mean total tear down time. If they come out rust free, pour a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil down each hole and let it sit for a day or so. Then get a big breaker bar on the crankshaft nut and try to give her a whirl. Actually, try to rock it back and forth reasonably gently at first but don't be afraid to put some heft into it in the end. If it ends up taking quite a bit of effort to make it come free, or you can't get it done, then maybe it's time to pull the heads and do a visual inspection on what it might be. Even if you have to pull the heads but can get it free then you've saved yourself a bunch of labor at a machine shop and mechanics shop. If you've got space to store and work on the truck, bring your studies and use the engine work as a study break. It's not that difficult a job to do and you'll know what goes into one when you're done.