6.9 stalling for no reason?

mintmoballen

Reaction score
I’m once again here asking questions about my weird clacky 83 idi. This time she died on me. Story time, I guess.

It started out this morning after I decided to retard the injection timing (someone else advanced it too much) and add 1.5 flats to the fuel screw. That all went well, it fired up okay and idled for probably a minute loping a little but it’s always done that. Then it just stalled. Huh, weird. Went over and cranked it for a couple seconds aaaand… nothing. Decided to crank it for a little longer while flooring it and it eventually fired up and absolutely smoked out my neighborhood, ran like garbage, and died again. Did this dance of cranking, running, and dying a few times and then it eventually just kept running and smoothed out to normal. I chose to ignore that figuring that it was just air from having the pump open.

Unfortunately, on my way to bring a load of scrap metal to the scrapyard the truck started losing power suddenly and lost all fuel. I continued rolling in 4th with my foot to the floor and probably 10 seconds later the power came back, and then gone, and back a couple times. About a mile later it completely died. Did the same thing where it would run and die over and over. I was pissed at this point so when I eventually got it to fire again I just held my foot to the wood instead of throttling it. Lo and behold 10 seconds of governor seemed to fix it. Drove back home, no issues, good-ish power.

Got ballsy and tried to go to the scrapyard again because even though I knew something was wrong I decided to go anyways. 4 miles later, dead. Really dead this time. No matter what I did it wouldn’t run longer than 3 seconds. Waited 30 min for my friend to help. Tried to crank it up, still the same after sitting. Decided to use the starter to turn the truck around in the road, truck started and ran fine, booked it home to where it sits now.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been noticing a slight loss of power at full throttle, lots of noise not much power. I don’t really know what the issue is at this point but I’m suspecting I might’ve bunged up the injection pump or the lift pump is weak? I have another questionable injection pump that I could try installing if needed. Fuel filter is a month old and I have fuel coming out the schrader valve when cranking. Shut off solenoid sounds like it’s working properly. Return lines aren’t leaking and I haven’t had issues with air intrusion in the mornings. Maybe someone else has experienced something similar because this is unlike anything I’ve dealt with. Maybe I’m just overlooking something

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much fuel do you have in the fuel tanks..?

If they are full...or nearly so....

On the IP...I would turn that fuel screw back to where it was and try it again...

But that is just what I would do...not knowing anything else about the truck...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they need Compression, Fuel and Air.
Iam betting it is the Lift Pump causing your problems.

When it dies while driving. Pull off the Fuel Filter and see if it is full.
If not, then the LP is your problem.

Goat

mintmoballen

Reaction score
I had about a 3/4 tank of fuel when it died, switching to the rear tank made no difference. I know that when it died I could press the schrader valve and it would push some fuel out with residual pressure. I’m hoping that means the filter was full? I might try turning the ip back down however I don’t know if that will do much. I turned the fuel up in the past but it smoked way too much for my liking so I turned it back down (except too far, that’s why I turned it back up a bit). I didn’t have issues with it that time. I’ll get it running today and do some more testing.

Edit:
I went and fired it up and it fired pretty good. I think the lift pump might be the issue. While it’s running only a small stream of fuel comes out of the bleeder.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Check lift pump pressure, hard to tell what is sufficient with a flow. Spec is 5-7psi

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air getting in maybe? Did you replace the filter? [EDIT: Never mind the filter, I see you already swapped it]

Are you able to repeat the condition in your driveway? or does it happen only while driving down the road?

If you can produce a stall in the driveway, try popping the fuel filler cap off each of the fuel tanks to see if you have any his from pressure release.

Try checking the fuel return line to make sure there is free flow back to the tank.

Also try replacing the fuel return line between the filter and the front fuel injector with a clear line. This will show you if air is getting into the filter.

mintmoballen

Reaction score
Well I decided to swap the injection pump with an unknown spare I had on the shelf. Pulled the old one and weirdly it won’t turn anymore. It gets stuck on a piece of metal inside. Replaced all the glow plugs and return line o rings. Was trying to bleed the new used injection pump and then my starter died. It wasn’t getting any fuel to the lines in the 30 seconds I probably cranked on it (not all at one time) so this pump is probably junk and now my original one is if it wasn’t already. Oh and I replaced the lift pump too, seems the old one was fine. Awesome time for it to break right when I have stuff to get done. Anyone wanna trade me for a big block? I don’t know if I really want to spend the money on a new pump and starter lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Dang sorry to hear that. Are you getting fuel out of the Schrader at the filter head at all?

mintmoballen

Reaction score
Yes I am, not a whole tone but I am. Not foamy or anything just straight diesel. I actually got it running. Installed a new Napa starter and cranked a bunch more. I was starting to lose hope when all of a sudden all the lines started shooting fuel and it tried to start. I have it running right now. The new pump is definitely sticky to say the least. The governor isn’t responding well. But it’s getting better.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Run some fuel cleaner through it. Thats normal for a pump Thats sat. Glad you got it running!

mintmoballen

Reaction score
Yeah I had some archoil stuff from my 6.0 that I dumped in the tank with some atf. Also filled the ip with atf when I assembled everything. Went out on a drive, ran like ass. Ran smooth but absolutely no power, could barely do 55 on flat ground. This is what the fuel filter looked like:
You must be registered for see images attach

I thought it was rust but it’s actually some sort of varnish buildup. I replaced it not long ago at all. Might cut it open. Fuel looks okay. Has some grime in it but no water that I can see yet.
You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like algae contamination. Fuel will still be clean when you drain it out, but that reddish sludge will be all over the bottom of your tank. Not to mention, fouling your lines and filter(s).

Is that residue hard and custy? Or is it soft and sludgy? (getting real technical here...)

mintmoballen

Reaction score
@david85 it was hard and crusty, thought it was rust for a second because I couldn’t really scrape it off with my dull fingernails. The truck doesn’t get much use at the moment due to me buying another truck so I’m not too concerned with it. Maybe I should dump some power service algae stuff in the tanks?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some kind of diesel treatment would be a good idea. I also like to use ATF, since it's packed with detergents and can lubricate delicate parts inside the injection system. Typically, you would remove the fuel filter, drain or replace it, then fill it with an additive of your choice (straight ATF, straight diesel additive, or a mixture). Then start the engine, and run it long enough for that fluid to make it all the way to the injectors. Then shut off the engine and let it site like that at least for overnight. Longer won't hurt. That can sometimes loosen up the governor, fuel metering valve, and other internal components.

Do you still have the original fuel water separator in your truck? Have you drained it lately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty