088 Air Intake Bracket?

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Putting an ATS 088 turbo that was previously on a '89 7.3 on a '90 7.3.
It's been sitting for over a decade, and sent it to CDD for a rebuild.
Got the turbo and exhaust all bolted up just fine.
I'm not seeing how to mount the ATS air filter, and not sure if there's a missing snorkel to pull fresh air in from a corner of the engine bay.
The 088 diagram I downloaded shows a stud supporting the entire air box, but the drawing depicts a square one, and mine is a rectangle.
I took a couple pictures with a tool holding it on place that I'll attach.
I'm wondering if I should just fab up a COI and stick a filter on that.
I'd have to provide a 3/4" hole for the crank case breather off a catch can I added to delete the CDR.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a mock up of the full air box.

Here's just the base.
I was thinking I could possibly make a bracket that mounts off the front of the intake, but there's not much room for it on that throttle bracket.
I wouldn't know what size tubing or filter to get to eliminate the ATS box.
Hoping someone has seen this type of 088 set up.
Thanks

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think @Cubey had this on one of his vans. He may be able to steer you in some useful direction.
It does look like there should be an extension bracket from where the throttle bolts to the intake.
As for the snorkel part, it should have come with a tube that hooks up to an OE style intake mouth that pulls air from between the hood and the core support, which is actually quite effective. 4" stiff aluminum dryer duct should work there as well, but be sure to measure it before buying as I'm not perfect!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's as an 085 air box, not 088.

I don't have the best photos due to the engine tunnel.

How it should look on a truck (from the web):

Last edited:

divemaster5734

Reaction score
That's as an 085 air box, not 088.
I sent it into CDD, who rebuilt it with the fan upgrade, and they never said anything.
It looks like those two studs on the bottom front of the air box do mount to a bracket attached at the throttle bracket.
Appreciate you taking the time to snap a couple pictures.
I spent a lot of time cleaning, painting, and dressing up the engine while upgrading everything I could.
I doubt I'll find the actual bracket, so will probably have to figure out an alternate method.
Thank you!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I sent it into CDD, who rebuilt it with the fan upgrade, and they never said anything.
It looks like those two studs on the bottom front of the air box do mount to a bracket attached at the throttle bracket.
Appreciate you taking the time to snap a couple pictures.
I spent a lot of time cleaning, painting, and dressing up the engine while upgrading everything I could.
I doubt I'll find the actual bracket, so will probably have to figure out an alternate method.
Thank you!

Are you possibly trying to match an 088 turbo with an 085 air box?

divemaster5734

Reaction score
It had all been previously installed on the truck when purchased.
There were a series of events with a dishonest mechanic that led to an engine fire, then a clown crew hired off of CL that mangled a replacement engine job.
It sat for the last 13 years with the entire top end in pieces in the back seat.
I vowed to do the work myself, and started it a few months ago after finding a donor truck with identical engine after retiring in December.
Have built hot rods and raced almost every type of motorcycle in organized events for several decades, but this is the first diesel ever.
Am learning new stuff every day.
The core problem is I tried to just buy my way to the vision I had of the end product.
That only works on those TV shows.
Doing searches today I found a few posts that said they had an 088 with 085 intake.
Don't know if there's a lot of difference between the two.
I do know I've clocked the turbo correctly, the exhaust is bolted, and I came off the oil pressure sensor for the oil feed, so it will work.

Sammy

Reaction score
This is the 088 intake box. Didn’t cross reference the filter or it. Got a microgard from Oreilly. MGA5057. Ended up with the big ass Donaldson with a 4” tube and an eBay special 45* adapter to the intake hat

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5114.jpeg
    IMG_5114.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 5

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It had all been previously installed on the truck when purchased.
There were a series of events with a dishonest mechanic that led to an engine fire, then a clown crew hired off of CL that mangled a replacement engine job.
It sat for the last 13 years with the entire top end in pieces in the back seat.
I vowed to do the work myself, and started it a few months ago after finding a donor truck with identical engine after retiring in December.
Have built hot rods and raced almost every type of motorcycle in organized events for several decades, but this is the first diesel ever.
Am learning new stuff every day.
The core problem is I tried to just buy my way to the vision I had of the end product.
That only works on those TV shows.
Doing searches today I found a few posts that said they had an 088 with 085 intake.
Don't know if there's a lot of difference between the two.
I do know I've clocked the turbo correctly, the exhaust is bolted, and I came off the oil pressure sensor for the oil feed, so it will work.

This is what 085 looks like from the rear.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From a quick online search, there does appear to be a mounting bracket there. I couldn't find any pictures of the bracket itself, but it looks like it's just a bent piece of metal that bolts to the throttle cable holding bracket. It shouldn't be too hard to make one with just a drill, a tape measure, and a hammer.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
From a quick online search, there does appear to be a mounting bracket there. I couldn't find any pictures of the bracket itself, but it looks like it's just a bent piece of metal that bolts to the throttle cable holding bracket. It shouldn't be too hard to make one with just a drill, a tape measure, and a hammer.

Last picture in first post shows that bracket.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
This is the 088 intake box. Didn’t cross reference the filter or it. Got a microgard from Oreilly. MGA5057. Ended up with the big ass Donaldson with a 4” tube and an eBay special 45* adapter to the intake hat
I like that intake.
Doesn't look like too much hassle, and opens up the engine a little.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I like that intake.
Doesn't look like too much hassle, and opens up the engine a little.

The right filter is impossible to get for 088 now. At least 085 uses a late 70s-1981 Porsche 911 filter, not just a certain K&N that you can't buy anymore. The Porsche 911 one only available online (paper or K&N) but at least they ARE available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan