Trailered home a 1989 F350 dump truck that looks great on the outside, but the 7.3 IDI is something else

crazydane

Reaction score
Called up CHI and they do have a set of rebuild heads in stock. They will accept a pair of the cracked ones as cores. $1,150 total, including shipping the cores back.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to get heads redone by Justin is $1200 just to put it in perspective

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I still question how bad they are. Why would a shop accept cracked heads as a good core, unless its just the pre cups.

crazydane

Reaction score
I'm swinging by the local machine shop tomorrow to pick up one set of the cracked heads. I'll see if he can point out where they are cracked and I'll take some pictures.

He also wants me to bring him the main caps and bolts so he can torque those to spec before boring the block.

The rebuild heads should be here Thursday. So hopefully I can finally start putting this thing back together again soon!

crazydane

Reaction score
Picked up the cores.

You must be registered for see images attach

Other head:

Crack is clear on the first head, but I don't really see it on the 2nd one, but I guess they did when magnafluxing it?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The one with the crack between the valves is unfortunate, but the other one... Send it out as a core I can't see anything either.