Intake valve and exhaust valve cleaner???

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they make any type of spray cleaner or anything that you can spray in the air intake to clean valves?
I'd suggest NOT doing the spray in intake unless you want to scare ***** outta yerself if it runs away...

Really there is no way to remove that sludge ifn it's on a valve unlike what SNAKE oil Salesmen would have you believe.

Maybe some Auto RX and time..that could help..but in all honesty seing as we only pass air over the intakes and fuel is injected in another location in precup there should be NO build up on intake and exhaust run pretty darn warm I've not seen a lot of buildup on them myself.

JM2CW others more experienced may chime in and offer some advice

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with riotwarrior, autorx is your best option. Before I owned my first diesel I had a lot of cars and trucks that I used seafoam on and it always helped but the only way I see cleaning at least the intake valves is pour a can or 2 of seafoam in the intake, and letting it sit over a week end and do not start the truck, just turn the engine over without it running and take out the glow plugs to prevent hydrolocking, and then promptly change your oil because i think seafoam in the oil would eat away at the seals and rtv sealant. But I do not recommend that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A member some time back was standing up on th front bumper pouring sea foam into the intake. The engine started to run away. This happens when the engine is fed any burnable fuel directly thru the intake. Once it starts burning it as fuel the engine can't be controlled. Our throttle governor will not stop the engine rpm and the engine will scream well past the normal redline on the tach. The throttle governor in built into the injection pump and shuts down the fuel that way. So pouring fuel ino the intake shows you ant kind of a man you are. Go to u tube and watch the diesel engine run aways on there. The sounds are terrifying. Severe engine damage can easily hapen when you have a run away. No go and do what you will do but please realize this forum trys to help and not harm engines.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Icanfixall is correct on the runaway situation, a little bit of advice to all diesel owners always have a fire extinguisher on hand or in the truck, even I have one sitting under the cigarette lighter

My thought process was a way to clean the intake valves through a over a weekend seafoam soak, after that I'm pretty sure all of the seafoam would be in the oil pan and if there was any flammable liquid in the intake, that's why I would pull the glow plugs to prevent any compression therefore any combustion happening and if there was any seafoam left over it would shoot out of the glow plug holes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have to ask.. Why do you guys feel the valves need cleaning with sea foam???:dunno:angel: Only way I know to see the intake valves is to run a camera down the intake to see the back side of the valve.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of the members trucks previous owners didn't know about the cdr and just kept adding oil, I bet a bad cdr could cause some build up on the intake valves.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this might be a case of hearing one too many gas company commercials about intake deposits and applying that info incorrectly to diesels ( : < ). Intake valve deposits are a thing of gas engines because vaporized fuel (and sometimes not-so-vaporized fuel) flows over them. The combustion chamber in a gasser runs much hotter than a diesel too and the heat can bake-on the deposits from the cheap gas or the oil from the valve stem seal. Diesel intake valves seldom get that hot so we seldom see deposits on diesel intakes. I've torn apart a fair number of diesels and can't say valve deposits are something that's either common or a problem. If there are deposits, I'd say they likely aren't doing you any noticeable harm but trying to get rid of them could do harm.

Going back to gasser EGTs, I have an EGT on my 5.4L gasser (it's a tuning tool, OK, plus I'm a gauge-o-haulic) and the normal EGTs would stop your heart if you saw them in a diesel.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to gasser EGTs, I have an EGT on my 5.4L gasser (it's a tuning tool, OK, plus I'm a gauge-o-haulic) and the normal EGTs would stop your heart if you saw them in a diesel.

Do tell. I'd be curious to hear. I have a 5.4 gasser as well, as my DD. I like that engine so far, btw.

Sorry for the hijack lol