Holley Black pump

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I've been looking for an electric fuel pump and I was wonderin how good a Holley Black pump is. They are supposed to be amazing and dump fuel but never tried one :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These fuel systems require 4 to 6 lbs of pressure. After that pressure you will start to change the timing. Why not use the holley red or the carrier pump....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holley makes a adjustable inline fuel pressure regulator that would be a good idea if you are going to use a pump with more than 7 psi (like the Holley Black). $27 at Summit.

Heath

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If an electric fuel-pump is going to be your main pump, then the best is to install a high-pressure/high-volume pump, then use a BY-PASS regulator BETWEEN the main fuel-filter and injection-pump.

Thus, the high-pressure/high-volume will keep the system well-charged with plenty of fuel, while the by-pass regulator cycles all the excess pressure and volume back to the tank via it's dedicated return-line.

The benefits of such a system are it's ability to keep things going when a sluggish filter would otherwise stall a normal system; plus, by moving the fuel through the system at a high volume, the fuel cycles through the filters many many times before getting to the injection-pump.

For a normal low-pressure electric-pump system, my choice above all others is the CARTER. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it would dump fuel in and make the truck roll some coal :D

Lift-pump pressure has very little to do with fuel delivery at the injectors.

About all increased lift-pump pressure at the injector-pump will accomplish is to blow a shaft-seal and flood the crank-case with diesel, hence my recommendation of a regulator. :)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Im using a holley blue unregulated:D
Lets not use you to set the bar on this one, ok kiddo?

7.3idiguy,
wanna really roll some coal?
first go in the kitchen and get one of those big plastic trash bags.
Put it over your air filter. Make sure it's tight fitting, use duct tape if you need to, we don't want any of that pesky oxygen in there.

You'll be rolling smoke like mad man!!! as a side benefit you'll save alotta money on air filters.

best of luck,
Drew

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Lift-pump pressure has very little to do with fuel delivery at the injectors.

About all increased lift-pump pressure at the injector-pump will accomplish is to blow a shaft-seal and flood the crank-case with diesel, hence my recommendation of a regulator. :)

Where would I go about getting one of these regulators you speak of? I have no idea what it does really. :dunno I just know that fuel pump will put out lol

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Lets not use you to set the bar on this one, ok kiddo?

7.3idiguy,
wanna really roll some coal?
first go in the kitchen and get one of those big plastic trash bags.
Put it over your air filter. Make sure it's tight fitting, use duct tape if you need to, we don't want any of that pesky oxygen in there.

You'll be rolling smoke like mad man!!! as a side benefit you'll save alotta money on air filters.

best of luck,
Drew

Kinda bein a smart ass there ain't ya

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Where would I go about getting one of these regulators you speak of? I have no idea what it does really. I just know that fuel pump will put out lol
Holley makes a adjustable inline fuel pressure regulator that would be a good idea if you are going to use a pump with more than 7 psi (like the Holley Black). $27 at Summit.
Heath

That appeared to have been answered. On a side note, it is a 'regulator' as such it regulates something yes? in this case fuel pressure.

Kinda bein a smart ass there ain't ya
kinda being a ******** there ain't ya?

Educate yourself just a little on how the fuel system of a diesel works before you start destroying it please.

sootman73

Reaction score
i've been thinking of putting an electric pump on but i haven't ever had a problem with my mechanical one even when i parked on a tilt and had to reprime the system with the other tank. I think i would do the bypass regulator and high-pressure high-volume pump. but i'm guessing those pumps are quite a bit more expensive...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
That appeared to have been answered. On a side note, it is a 'regulator' as such it regulates something yes? in this case fuel pressure.

kinda being a ******** there ain't ya?

Educate yourself just a little on how the fuel system of a diesel works before you start destroying it please.

Look here man we dont care to get a little ragging from someone everynow and then but all you ever do is run us down call us **** make us look stupid, if you dont have anything good to say then dont post in our threads

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK OK you guys stop this right NOW. You all know better. Don't make me moderate. I hate to moderate. :backoff Back to the technical stuff please, and don't follow that rabbit trail any longer, or I'll just can the whole thing.