Cummins swap, E4od question

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you running a cummins with an E4od? I have been reading and it seems like you need both an adapter plate and a stand alone transmission computer to make the tranny properly work with the cummins.
Now from my very amateur understanding the new computer is nessasary because the cummins and IDI have different torque curves, rpm ranges etc. Would putting the 3200rpm spring in the Ve pumped 12 valve make the rpm range/torque curve close enough to that of the IDI to make a $800 tranny computer not necessary?

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
if i am thinking right, all you need is a tach input pulse and the module on the side of the injector pump to somehow work on the cummins and make the slushbox shift.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just basing this finding off what it said on fordcummins.com I have yet to ask any members on here what they have found. I trust users on here much more then a website that sells conversion parts.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Fordcummins.com

Transmission control- Although we do not recommend it, some early E40D’s that were behind a non-powerstroke engine do not absolutely require an aftermarket transmission controller. However, do not expect the transmission to shift in the optimum torque range of the Cummins since the Cummins makes its power at a much lower rpm than the 7.3. It also is required for you to make a bracket to mount your original Ford throttle position sensor to the Cummins throttle lever. We do not provide such a bracket. There have been more than a few guys try this option and had not so great results. A few have even burned up their transmission.

We offer two styles of transmission controllers for these transmissions. The Compushift controller does not require a laptop computer. When using this controller, you will have to upgrade to newer E40D components that are compatible with the controller. The PCS controller does require a laptop computer, but has many features that make it a great choice, including a good price.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main thing the tran's uses to determine shift points/line pressure is: FIPL (also known as TPS), VSS, and the Tach input. In theory, IF you got those sensors to work EXACTLY like on a stock IDI. The trans would shift/operate fine.

Another trans controller option is Baumann. For one of their kit's it's $550 (for the computer and wiring harness).

http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The main thing the tran's uses to determine shift points/line pressure is: FIPL (also known as TPS), VSS, and the Tach input. In theory, IF you got those sensors to work EXACTLY like on a stock IDI. The trans would shift/operate fine.

Another trans controller option is Baumann. For one of their kit's it's $550 (for the computer and wiring harness).

http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm

The computer which interprets data from aforementioned sensors still assumes the power and torque curve of an IDI. Therefore it would work, but it wouldn't work the best.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating going stick, Theres an NV4500 sitting in my friends yard I can have for free, I just have to find a transfer case and make it fit.
Maybe thats the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online