Cleaning injector bores

alfaguy

Reaction score
First post here at Oilburners. Much better then that other place.

I'm replacing the injectors on my '91 7.3 at the same time as doing the
Sidewinder install. Two of the injectors were loose and the injector bores have carbon in them. Any ideas on how I should clean them out without putting the carbon chunks down the injector holes? Also is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who has the tools for checking the injection pump timing?

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alfaguy said:
First post here at Oilburners. Much better then that other place.

I'm replacing the injectors on my '91 7.3 at the same time as doing the
Sidewinder install. Two of the injectors were loose and the injector bores have carbon in them. Any ideas on how I should clean them out without putting the carbon chunks down the injector holes? Also is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who has the tools for checking the injection pump timing?

I recently had two injectors really carboned in. One of them actually unscrewed itself in the middle and stayed in the head. I had to grind the threads off the remaining part of the injector, screw it back together, and then twist it around several times in the hole. This was after I squirted PB Blaster in the hole. After I had all the injectors out I used the ground off injector and "Cleaned the bore for each one". I also turned the engine with the starter a few times to blow out the PB Blaster. This seemed to work.

I have heard that there is an actual tool for cleaning out the bore, but I have never seen one.

Good Luck

akoldnav

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yeah, the injector bore reamer is what you need. IF the seats (where the copper o-ring seals) are OK, then you could prolly get away with a 1" copper pipe fitting brush.

If the seats are carboned/pitted your going to have to locate a Inj Bore Ream. Those copper o-ring seals HAVE GOT TO BE SEALED! If they don't, damage to the injector is emminant. And quickly, too.

I went thru this with a damaged head, I tried all sort of things to get the seat flat & clean. The only thing that worked was the ream.

Injector seat ream

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually a 12 gage shotgun copper bore brush works great... So I'm told... :Sly

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the injector bore reamer is what you need. IF the seats (where the copper o-ring seals) are OK, then you could prolly get away with a 1" copper pipe fitting brush.

If the seats are carboned/pitted your going to have to locate a Inj Bore Ream. Those copper o-ring seals HAVE GOT TO BE SEALED! If they don't, damage to the injector is emminant. And quickly, too.

I went thru this with a damaged head, I tried all sort of things to get the seat flat & clean. The only thing that worked was the ream.

Injector seat ream

This looks like what I need to do. Do I need to pull the heads to do it safely (to avoid getting metal chips in the cylinders)? Or is this thing more of a honing tool?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... Its actually a metal cutting flat reamer. If you need one I can ship one to you. All I ask is you pay the shipping both ways after you have it. They are easy to use and for me, I would apply some heavy grease in the bottom of the injector bore plugging the tip opening so nothing drops into the precup. And apply a coating of grease to the cutting tip. Then use it. Hopefully the small matal chips will be ealiy collected by the grease. A magnet will pick up the rest.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Usually a 12 gage shotgun copper bore brush works great... So I'm told... :Sly

Yup, it works great, If you have the glow plug out , you can put an air gun up to the GP hole and blow the carbon particles back out the injector hole, and a small .22 or .177 bore brush works great for cleaning out glow plug holes ;Sweet