A SHO fan fight

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have dual 95 SHO fans on my radiator, one is not adequate and two for the most part do well. I have some cooling mods done to the engine, where the engine will stay around the 180-195f range of the low side most the time. It only really gose to the high side, if pushing a grade above 2600rpm for some time. It recover quick for the most part, if I back off from there and dose not seem to be heat soaking.

You must be registered for see images

This was the state of the relays...

I have been fighting the high side both now with two running and back when I had one going, these are the current failed one and not sure where the past ones are. Issue is the high side seems to be getting too hot and starts to doing odd stuff, like the high side staying on unless I shake the relay or tops poping off.

So I went overkill and lumped them together, on a realy ment for a grid heater...

That ment I had to come up with a staging relay, to control the bigger ones...

I also upgraded the high side and ground wire for the fans, going from 12ga to 10ga. So hopefully I dont have anymore problems with these and they do as there told.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wiring in the first photo is going to give me nightmares

Your wellcome, if that hodgepodge of wiring gives nightmares. That was wired for two volvo relays, but had to route around in it and patch in a substitute for the second, that ment using two for ones job.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well something in the staging side and the temp switch want to act up with gremlis, and a run was being made. A lot of magic pixys get relase when ground switching one these relays, it bites a little but niddle nose help slide and twist it in place...

So taped in a wire to the high side before staging and ran to a bypass switch, so am not leaving the high on all the time and freezing the engine...

I was no ware at getting the high side to come on auto, and the low side was wanting to stay on when it had been on for a bit when forcing the high to come on. So dug out old parts to get a staging that worked till fried...

So rewire it again, so have staging to haddle the load of switching the larger relays. I also chnaged those relays from ground side to positive side switched, since that what the volvo one is and also put a relay on the ignition remote lead. The high side is giving the whoosh and cooling effect again, so might be sorted. If I turn the high on before I shut it off, it dose the not take long to cool the engine down after driving it.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wiring in the first photo is going to give me nightmares

I think was mistakin what you where refering to. Are refering to the random wire laying on the engine, I was using to ground the temp switch leads for testing? If so, that did not stick around past the testing with the engine off.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The initial state of the relays. Non weather insulated butt connectors, no wire loom, just a big spaghetti of wires. It definitely tidied up though in the later pictures

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The initial state of the relays. Non weather insulated butt connectors, no wire loom, just a big spaghetti of wires. It definitely tidied up though in the later pictures

Hay its a work in progress, its what happens when everthing and the kitchen sink is thrown at someting in a rush to send it. The fine details can be worked out latter in time, it dose mean doing things over a few times. If time could be had, slow and stead would had been the better option. Where could had though this threw better, and used my fluke scopemeter with amp clamp to test output of the fans but only have a max 80a one right now. At least the wiring is not twisted bailing wire, wraped in duck tape and twisted around all terminal end.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
This is true, could always be worse. Saying that reminds me of my old mans first idi. It was a 89 standard cab, previous owners had installed those electric stowing steps you see on rv's on both sides. They were hard wired to the dash harness, shaved the side of the harness and wrapped another wire around it, then electrical taped.

Was driving it one day and it almost caught fire. That was fun.