ZF5 Question

divemaster5734

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I changed the oil in my ZF5 and lost the detent spring, which you guys correctly identified.
Put it all back together and thought it was a done deal.
Then yesterday I was under the truck routing the new holly wire and harnessing everything along the rail, when I noticed oil weeping on the drain plug.
Out of an abundance of fully retarded ****-retentiveness I drained the oil, resealed the plug, then opened the shifter to pour it back in, as it came out very clean, and I drained it back into the gallon jug it came in.
I was very careful pulling the shifter off, but neglected to position the shifter cup correctly, and knocked the detent plate into the ZF.
Pulled one of the inspection covers off, grabbed a small magnet, and found it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Was using my phone's light, so snapped a picture.
Was feeling pretty good about it all and then noticed the sludge on the end of the plate, and magnetic shavings on the end of the magnet.
I thoroughly cleaned the magnet before putting it in.
The plate didn't drop close to the inspection window, rather, further back.
It took several minutes of carefully moving around the magnet, then readjusting the angle before I finally heard the plate attach.
I probably searched 3/4 of the inside bottom of the ZF before finding the plate.
My question, should I do a flush, or is this pretty typical?
Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the drain plug magnetic? A lot of them are, can't remember about the zf.

I think I would get some sort of pump and stop taking the shifter off to fill the oil. Looks like a lot of places to make a mistake. I have had good success with a pump like this that screws right into a gallon jug.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
I didn't think you could stuff a gallon in it through the fill hole because that's about a quart over.
It was just a momentary lapse of focus that will never happen again.
besides, still have the floor pan off from the zf swap.
Refilled with new oil and all is well.
After thinking about it there was bound to be some debris on the bottom of the transmission, and I probed most of it with a magnet, so if the tiny amount that stuck to the magnet was all there was, then it's in pretty decent shape.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a magnet in the case itself, not the drain plug. It’s a regular magnet, not a super strong rare earth magnet like your magnet on a stick. I bet you passed over the magnet in the case with your strong magnet and took all the stuff that was stuck to it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not hip to messing with the oil in the ZF. Been there, done that. Different types of oils, over-filling the trans, etc. I have never seen any of it work, and I think it is unnecessary. I fill it to the proper level with the old Dexron and it works the best, cold weather and hot weather. The synthetic Dexron would be an improvement and what the ZF people now recommmend.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that almost identical oil pump.
Don`t have the fancy tip thing though.
Just slip a section of the clear plastic
tubing onto the pump spicket, and pump
away.
I have a plastic piece that snaps onto the
tube, when filled, snap the end onto the
other side, and holds it up right.
Afterwards, pull the tube off the pump and