WMO... Is it really that easy?

8ball

Reaction score
Just dump some kerosene and/or RUG into old motor oil, run it through a centrifuge, and put it in the tank? This kinda pegs the "if it seems too good to be true" meter. What are the cons to this process, besides a stinky exhaust and possible additional wear on IP and injectors?

I bought my '83 with the idea of making biodiesel or WVO (my sis is a manager at McDonalds) but WMO sounds a whole bunch easier than the titrations and washing that you have to do with biodiesel. My best friend runs a tire store and mechanic/lube shop, so the WMO source is a no-brainer.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently between 450 and 500 gallons that I have 'fuged and burned. I run w85 in both my IDI trucks and have started running it in my Massey 1105 farm tractor.

IDI engines are pretty tolerant of what they will run, much more so that Powerstroke engines are. I have a brother-in-law that ran about 200 gallons through his IDI and all he was doing was filtering through a sewn up jean leg, and depending on the truck filter to do the rest. I wouldn't recommend that......

Here is what I have learned and what I do.

Stage 1: I do quite a lot to my WMO before it goes in my fuel tank. I didn't start out using full 55 gallon drum as a cold upflow, but I eventually went to that mainly to get all the water out. I highly recommend doing a full cold upflow as your first stage. My centrifuge don't take out near as much junk as it did before I started using the upflow.

Stage 2: I centrifuge a 28 1/2 gallon batch (5 gallons of gas mixed in next makes a perfect W85 mix)

Stage 3: I mix in the 5 gallons of RUG

Stage 4: I pump into a rounded bottom 40 gallon propane tank (standing upright) and let the W85 blend settle for 48 hours. Then after 48, I drain a 1/2 gallon or so off the bottom.

Stage 5: I centrifuge the W85 blend again, slowly at about 4 - 5 gallons per hour. This rate is with a motor driven 'fuge, not a pressure driven.

Stage 6: I pump through a 1 micron bag filter into my truck/tractor supply tank.

I use low psi air pressure to do all my pumping.

There will be those who will probably say that all this fuss isn't necessary, and they may be right, but I am in this for the long haul and I want my pumps and injectors to last as long as possible.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dump some kerosene and/or RUG into old motor oil, run it through a centrifuge, and put it in the tank? This kinda pegs the "if it seems too good to be true" meter. What are the cons to this process, besides a stinky exhaust and possible additional wear on IP and injectors?

Bascially.

The most important thing in running any alternative fuel is the fuel being clean... so how ever you choose to do so whether it be wtih filters or a 'fuge, don't skimp out. Most blend W85 (85% clean used oil/ 15% RUG)

I just started doing this in the last month... I go the old fashion filter route... I fill a 55 gallon drum with used dirty oil and RUG and it settles for a few days minimum. I then gravity flow from this drum through a 10 micron house water filter... then a 5 micron house water filter... and then a 2 micron high performance cim-tek filter and into a new 55 gallon drum that I have mounted horizontally with a drain valve for filling fuel cans.

I add RUG before starting the filtration process because the RUG actually drops contaminants out of suspension allowing them to settle on the bottom of the drum. I also don't pump off the bottom of any of the drums... this allows room for settling.

Currently, I'm running a 50/50 blend... (50% W85 - 50% Pump Diesel) in my 4BTA Cummins powered '03 Tahoe. My only complaint so far is the idle haze but I've got a few things in the works to hopefully take care of that. Come warm months, I'll be running straight W85.

The main drawbacks are filter replacement, time/space to do it, initial cost, legallity (not paying road tax.. most don't worry about it but its worth mention)...

As far as filter replacement goes... most plug a few fuel filters right off the bat... the W85 is fairly good at cleaning the inside of the fuel tank so and junk that may be in the tank will shortly end up in your fuel filters. (Lucky for me that I had just finished my conversion and had just flushed and cleaned my fuel tank) I also replace fuel filters with every oil change or every other oil change... I do it no matter the fuel I'm running... being stranded by a $15 filter sucks..

Anyways... welcome to the forum. There is a TON of info and people willing to help.
-Chris

Last edited:

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really easy.

I settle my oil in IBC totes for as long as necessary to get most of the water and anti-freeze out.

Then it gets put through my 1000 watt heater on the way to my 'fuge. Then it drains into a 55 gallon barrel.

I have to be careful when filling a 55 gallon barrel with a 270 gallon tote ;Really