Verify my AC Pressure

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't touched ac in most of my trucks in years. Done some interesting things in the past like stealing a working ac from a 300 straight 6 to put it in my non ac truck, etc. I know the basics and have a good vacuum pump but I'm not up on this stuff.

So my 90 7.3 was all original stuff. I "converted" it 7 years ago with fittings and a new orifice tube but didn't have the vacuum pump. I just purged the whole system of whatever was in it and put 40 oz of redtek 12a in it and it was "ok". It had either gotten worse or I get more annoyed by heat in my early/mid 30s so I figured I'll fix it. Got the vacuum pump out, ran it for an hour and a half with all sorts of moisture and stuff coming out the vent even after it was purged. If taylor swift and all these Hollywood ****** stop flying private jets everywhere I'll stop purging my 40oz of gas into the atmosphere, but that's another topic. Anyway I left it overnight expecting it to leak and to my surprise it held perfectly. I opened it to replace the orifice tube for kicks and the one it had wasn't that dirty just a tiny bit of junk at the bottom. Held another vacuum for an hour and charged it.

My first can might not have been full. I regret not just using full cans because I can't be 100% sure how much I have in the system now. I did that can and three full 12oz cans. Realistically there's probably 42 ish oz in the system. The can had "weight" but I don't think it was completely full. If it was that would be 48oz.

Anyways, it works great. It's 93* here and humid in western pa and we took a 40 minute trip ran some errands and 40 minutes back on the highway with some stop and go. Wife and kid were comfy and she noticed it was a lot better. I'd say it's 90% as good as our new car, and some of that difference could be a giant flat metal roof of a crew cab and next to no insulation.

I made a video of the high pressure readings when we got back and I pulled in the driveway. High side was 190 when i first put the gauge on begore i grabbed my phone and settled here. I also have a big electric fan in front of the condenser I left on all day. I didn't hook up low side in the video but it was 35 when I checked after I recorded this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Seem right to everyone? I thought high side was usually higher than that especially in this heat. I'm hesitating charging it anymore with 42oz in there already. If there's room to make it better I will but I don't want to blow the overcharge port on a compressor, did that once before. Was neat, but only for a 1 time experience lol.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that's fine then. 93 when I got home x2.5 is 232.5 and my pressure looks like it was 225. I'll just leave it be. I think it's doing good, I just checked vent temps on a short drive and they were 45* which is a lot lower than I thought it would be for how hot it is out. Only so much you can do to cool these big crew cabs. Curious what a new car does.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is charge by weight. Pressures will get you in the ball park but charging by weight will get it where it needs to be.
The sticker on my truck is for R12, I'm replacing all the ac components and planning to run R134a instead. I found a conversion chart that tells me how much to use by weight when dealing with the info from the R12 sticker on the truck. Life has been getting in the way but I'll post results when I get it all sorted out.

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sticker on my truck is for R12, I'm replacing all the ac components and planning to run R134a instead. I found a conversion chart that tells me how much to use by weight when dealing with the info from the R12 sticker on the truck. Life has been getting in the way but I'll post results when I get it all sorted out.
Would you mind posting the conversion chart also?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

These are two that I have saved.