To swap or not to swap?

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I have a 93 TWD F250 I’m getting ready to build k to a service truck. It’s currently got a reman E4OD that’s struggling. I’ve changed the fluids, cleaned and checked the connectors but that’s about it. It’s got that standard OD flashing, high pressure BS going on.

I’ll be building this truck as a keeper. I honestly don’t want to be constantly chasing electrical demons with this stock Auto but am willing to invest some time in it if you all believe it’s worth it.

Given my position would you bite the bullet and swap in the ZF5 or ***** around with this temperamental auto?

As for ability I can wrench and fabricate no problem. Things with wires make my head hurt.

Thoughts?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I always swap to manual, but that is personal preference. As far as od flashing, your tpms may not be set correctly, or you may have a bad torque converter. May even be something else, to me not at all worth it. But again, that's my personal opinion. Surely other e40d gents with more knowledge than I will chime in

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Both are good options, it all depends on if you don't mind a clutch in heavy stop and go traffic. For a service truck I'd prefer an auto.

Fixing the wiring gremlins on an e4od isn't that hard, you definitely dont want to drive it with thr OD light flashing though. Get a cheap obd1 scanner or get the flash codes and I'm sure its something easy

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second getting the codes first before anything else...

If anything else...it will help with that head hurt problem when it is either fixed or you at least know what the problem is...yes, it could be simple...

Once you are there...then you can take a long walk, drive, have a cream soda, or a strong cup of coffee and do some soul searching on what you really want in your truck...

it is just what I would do if I were to walk a mile in your moccassins...

P.S. I prefer stick in my vehicles...but I just yesterday looked at a (gasp) 460 powered E4OD SCDRW truck for possibly The Girl to use...She said she wanted automatic and who am I to question Her preference...?...or anyone else's...?

Last edited:

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a service truck I'd prefer an auto.
Honestly, I don’t disagree… if my service truck was auto it sure wouldn’t bother me… long as the thing worked fine… there I said it LOL

I don’t mind manual in heavy traffic, but it’s just unnecessary in a service truck… auto probably would be better for a service truck application…

But the ZF are simple, and while they have their finicks, they aren’t as finicky as an E4OD…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Both are good options, it all depends on if you don't mind a clutch in heavy stop and go traffic.
I agree. Where I live and how I drive, I prefer a standard transmission almost every time. If I had to deal with a lot traffic and stop and go driving, I'd want an automatic for sure.

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
Thanks for your input fellas. I suppose it does make sense to go through the current auto to see if I can get it functioning reasonably.

I don’t much mind the idea of a manual in traffic as I do a pretty good job of avoiding that BS.

I suppose my primary concern is that when I’m finished refreshing and building the truck that it’s reliable. If the E40D could prove problematic in the long term I’d rather take the time to swap it while it’s not my primary money maker. Few things more stressful than wrenching on your truck to make it to the job the next day.

So I seem to be getting the idea you guys feel the E4OD is something I could count on when working correctly.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I seem to be getting the idea you guys feel the E4OD is something I could count on when working correctly.
I have written a few things on those units here and instead of re-writing it all over again...if you want more info on them then just type in E4OD in your search box and put my handle in the other box and check out my opinion on 'em.

I believe that there are equally valid opinions from other members here as well. Feel free to scope it out and maybe your apprehensions will dissipate...

Good luck on it.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came from an Idaho farmer. The clutch pedal/bracket was pretty beat up and the pedal needed to be pushed in really deep to engage. The truck also had captains chairs added in, so even with the driver seat all the way forward it was still a bit of a reach to engage the clutch pedal fully.

The previous owner said his wife could not drive the truck just because her legs weren’t long enough. This could be anyone basically, if they’re under like 5’10”. I’m just over 6’ but have shorter legs and was a job to clutch in on hills and traffic.

The clutch bracket has since been repaired and doesn’t require as much pedal travel but the seat is still mostly maxed out forward.

Anyway: for my personal vehicles I strongly prefer manual but for a company vehicle or something with multiple drivers an auto makes a bit more sense to me.