Swap to '03 SD Axles

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm about to do a axle swap.
Picked up Sky's FS and RS kit's, and the conversion kits for some '03 axles I have.
My question.
The new axles have a flange at the third members that the U joint's attach to.
I planned on using the axles out of my '89 and just getting a couple new flanges.
It suddenly occurred to me that the new flange might take a different U joint.
Is that something to be concerned about?
Also, I haven't picked up the new brake controllers yet, as the swap is completely weather dependent and it looks like my best window will be next weekend.
After that I'll then have a canopy to work under to replace all the brake lines, etc.
That said, I'll have to drive the truck a couple hundred feet from the concrete pad where the swap will take place, to the HF canopy where all the work has taken place so far.
As long as I bleed the new disk brakes hooked up to the '89 system am I correct in assuming they will work well enough to stop the truck at a 1st gear idle speed to simply get it to the different stage area?
I don't know if I'll have a chance to weld on the e brake bracket before the rain comes back, and there's some tight turning/maneuvers between.
Thanks

swald

Reaction score
As long as I bleed the new disk brakes hooked up to the '89 system am I correct in assuming they will work well enough to stop the truck at a 1st gear idle speed to simply get it to the different stage area?

I still haven't done anything but plug n play the rear axle into my 92. I've had no problems braking.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I still haven't done anything but plug n play the rear axle into my 92. I've had no problems braking.
Did you leave the proportioning valve in place even though you now have 4 disk brakes?
From what I've read is using matching axles the caliper size is supposed to be designed to allow the correct pressure without the need to manually balance.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I under stand it, there is one PV Valve for Drum/Disk,
and one for the Disk/Disk.
When I changed the one on my 86 I did a lot of searching on them. Whether you pay $35 or $135 from some High Performance webb site, they are all made in China.

Goat

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed the one on my 86 I did a lot of searching on them. Whether you pay $35 or $135 from some High Performance webb site, they are all made in China.

Goat
Exactly.
It's difficult to sort the truth from a sales pitch.
Adding extra junk just means more crap to break down.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's what I thought too. My understanding is that the rear drums require a small amount of pressure to be on the wheel cylinders at all times or else they won't engage the brakes as quickly as the front calipers do.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The generic (GM based) PV4 valve is a commonly used on disc/disc swaps. Nothing extra - replace the old with the new.

That's what I thought too. My understanding is that the rear drums require a small amount of pressure to be on the wheel cylinders at all times or else they won't engage the brakes as quickly as the front calipers do.

My understanding is the head pressure (elevation) does this job nowadays. Residual pressure valves are from back when the MC was under the floorboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty