Slight pull to driver side, more so when loaded

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the truck has had a slight pull to the left the entire time I’ve had it. With about a ton in the bed and on the freeway it is more noticeable - but not undriveable. When empty there is less of a pull but not as bad.

When braking the truck pulls to the left as well.

The tires are all equally inflated to about 65-70 psi. The steering (tie rods and drag link etc) are all new and have been aligned at a shop.
Far as I can tell none of the brakes are dragging and all read about 100* with the infrared thermometer after driving.

Any other tips as to what could be the cause here? Suspension or something else?
Truck is fine as is, obviously old, and I can live with things but would be nice to resolve this if possible.

The steering wheel has a little more play to the left than to the right - thought this was alignment related but it might be the steering system. Not very familiar with that yet though. From what I’ve read though most folks have some play in the wheel

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you compared the ride height with the factory specs...on all four corners...?

And...have you had someone follow you and watch your truck go down the road...to see if it looks like it is 'crabbing'....?

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll look into seeing if it’s crabbing. Far as I can tell the suspension is all stock height, definitely not lifted. maybe some shocks have been replaced at some point but not sure.

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it 4x4? My steering wheel was always pointed to the left, I change all my bushings and now the steering wheel is centered.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check rear axle alignment.
Not front but rear in relationship to a fixed point ( frame and suspension pickup point preferably) way up front.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm interesting points. Yeah it’s 4x4, looking into checking rear axle alignment and bushings have been on the todo list a bit as well. Thanks for the suggestions would never have thought of those

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online