Saginaw powersteering pump upgrade

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
So I picked up a new pump that was never meant to go on my truck, I was told a ford van of early 90's would have a bracket that would bolt up. But finding one of these today is nearly impossible, so...

new pump

You must be registered for see images attach

Just painted it, I'll get some pics installed

The pump sits a little forward the way it is now, I'll shim it with some washers and that should fix it. Does it matter that much if it's out of alignment just a little? right now it's about 1" to far forward, I figure 4 grade 8 bolts and a handful of washers will take care of it.

Anyone know where I can get a pulley?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Looks good! I used an old pulley off of my GMC. I would guess any GM with the press on pulley and Saginaw would work.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled one off of a 6.9 van in the Junkyard. Ill have to try and get a pic of it up. The Saginaw pump I pulled even had a double pulley.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Ok I bought a pulley from oreilly's one of these:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-17636-300-121.aspx

Whats the OD on the stock pulley? I'm afraid with this being 5.8 it might be larger than the stocker and cause the pump to spin slower...

Hope it'll work, Oh I picked up the double for when I track down and mount a York compressor... anyone have one for sale?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Oh yeah I also got the parts to do hydroboost, hopefully I'll get it all done tomorrow

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not grab a pump for any GM 5.7l diesel powered car? I had two Pontiac Grand Prix cars with the diesel in (actually loved that diesel, great mileage and they both never gave me head issues). One was an '81 and the other an '82. But they went for many GM full size vehicles, like the '86 Chevy Caprice I had with the 5.7l diesel (that I replaced the head gaskets on). Still have the '82 Prix though with a 327 I got when my Mom's '68 Chevelle's frame rusted in half. Made the pump bracket fit the sb and ran the hydroboost afterwards. Oh what a combo, but I digest*...

When getting ready to go from vacuum brakes to hydroboost in my '79 Bronco, I called around and was able to easily find those pumps.