Replaced glow plug relay with White Rodgers, still doesn't work.

thisisagreatuser

Reaction score
Is it time to replace the controller and relay completely? I've replace all glow plugs with the correct ZD9 ones. Have been starting the truck for a few weeks by just shorting across the large terminals on the relay. Starts right up. So plugs and wiring after controller should be good. The always hot wire to relay is good, the ground is good. Its just doing the rapid clicking. Figured putting a really good relay in there like the power stroke guys do would fix it. Took apart old relay and it had one post that looks worse than the other. Kinda melty on the copper part.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
None of the Gp controllers ive ever worked on had a relay that looked like that. If you're having issues I'd suggest switching it to a factory style one or a push button.

Factory one;

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push button, also there are fake Motorcraft glow plugs, you can search youtube. I would only buy glow plugs from a real auto parts store, Amazon and ebay are full of fakes.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Sure sounds like what mine did after I put in new GP marked Motorcraft that I got off EBay. Yep China junk. I could do the same thing as you and it would start. The amperage draw is not correct. The set would draw about 100 amps total and it is much closer to 200 amps when everything is correct. I would double check what your do in the way of a draw, I bet you will find them way off.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Push button, also there are fake Motorcraft glow plugs, you can search youtube. I would only buy glow plugs from a real auto parts store, Amazon and ebay are full of fakes.

RockAuto is probably legit

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the same relay I used it's likely your controller has failed if everything else is new. I do agree the glow plugs could be the problem if they're Chinese fakes.

thisisagreatuser

Reaction score
That's the same relay I used it's likely your controller has failed if everything else is new. I do agree the glow plugs could be the problem if they're Chinese fakes.
They're fake. I got burned. Ebay. That job sucked. Will have to do all over again. Those plugs are so inaccessible. Did you bend the shunt like I did? It's kinda crazy how well the Rodgers fits if you just slide it in its mount, drill two new holes, file the mount tabs a bit, and bend the shunt. All the wired have enough slack. Some of the connections are pretty close to each other but I will just "pot" everything with some silicone so the connections cant arc.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go over to the dark side and just put a pushbutton in like someone else said. Nothing worse to be in the middle of winter and you have a job to do, and the glowplug controller just clicks on and off because there is one bad glowplug. I have started my truck in the winter with 3 bad glowplugs using the pushbutton. I knew at least one was gone the way it was starting rough. Didn't realize 3 had gone bad.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you bend the shunt like I did?

I honestly don't remember and apparently never put pictures in my thread.... I'm pretty sure I did though because I remember mounting it on the controller and being surprised how well it fit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're fake. I got burned. Ebay. That job sucked. Will have to do all over again. Those plugs are so inaccessible. Did you bend the shunt like I did? It's kinda crazy how well the Rodgers fits if you just slide it in its mount, drill two new holes, file the mount tabs a bit, and bend the shunt. All the wired have enough slack. Some of the connections are pretty close to each other but I will just "pot" everything with some silicone so the connections cant arc.
Dont use rtv, the acid can corrode the copper.