Rad options

ludite

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I've got a pretty bad leak on the original brass rad on my 84, I thought I'd clean it up and see where exactly is coming from and in doing so have realized just how rotten it is, half the fins are blowing out with a little compressed air nothing left but paint holding dust together. Anyways it's got the odd ball 37"wide rad, there's two on rock auto, an aluminum one from Agility and a copper from Spectra. Does anybody have experience with either brand? The aluminum is a few hundred cheaper.

I called the local rad fixing guy and his advice was to run a lower pressure cap and just go but I plan to keep the truck for the next hundred years so would like a proper fix. He said the Spectra rads weren't built very strong and tend to last only a few years max.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Agility

I use Spectra rads, but have the square version, aluminum with big cores.

Never gets hot.

I have all new cooling system components on my 91, fought that on my 86 until everything had been replaced, when I got the 91, didn’t have any problems with its cooling system, but replaced it all anyways

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I put a Spectra in my '93 dodge around May 2018. Copper/brass. Its been fine.

I got a welded aluminum one for my '90 project dodge (summit racing) for the nice price-point. No miles yet.

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a champion 3 row in mine. The previous owner installed it so no idea how long it’s been in the truck. No issues yet!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These won't work for his short, wide radiator.

ludite

Reaction score
Yea kdo I saw those and they do look nice but aren't the right size without switching out rad supports. I did find a used original rad local for a reasonable deal, going to pick it up Saturday if it looks alright. If I've got two maybe I can fix one while the others in service.