OBS bucket seat lumbar support ideas?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the original seat that came with my truck and the buckets have the inflatable lumbar support which of course has rotted out and won't hold air. Anybody come up with a good solution for a little lumbar support? I've tried a variety of pillows, pieces of foam, and assorted items but nothing really worked that great. I was thinking about buying some foam pieces from a local custom mattress maker and after cutting them to size I would wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and then insert the "pillow" into the seat back. Anyone try something like this?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
This is a difficult thing to get just right, permanently-built into the seat.

I have a little micro-bead pillow I use in the jeep, and with the otherwise horrible truck bench seats... a half roll of shop towel does the trick.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I found some success at a decent price. I purchased some 2" seat cushion foam off Ebay-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/172466180450?var=471314528229 --and boy oh boy what a difference!! I flirted with spending the $150 for a new bottom seat cushion but figured I could do it cheaper. I cut 1 piece of foam and stuffed it under the original worn out seat foam with the molded surface, and then placed a 1/4" piece of plastic over the wires inside the seat so the foam wouldn't just squish through them. By comparison, it feels like a brand new seat. I cut a second piece and stuffed it into the backrest which made a huge difference. I still need to tweak things a bit but I think with a little more trial and error I can actually achieve comfort without breaking the bank. I bought an 82"Lx24"Wx2"Thick piece of foam for $50 shipped which should be enough to do two buckets plus a little left over. One reproduction seat bottom only is $150+. 1" foam might have better as far as getting the thickness just perfect in the seat but for the back rest a piece of 3" foam might be closer to perfect.