need trans help. wont go

yosemiteyeti

Reaction score
i just recently got a 89 f250 with the 7.3idi and c6 4x4. the previous owner drove it to work said the transmission never slipped or made any noises on his way. he worked his shift and returned to his truck to find that it would not engage in any gear reverse drive 1st or second made no noise and would not go. he didnt want to deal with it so he sold it to me cheap. ive checked the fluid and its at the right level ive also checked the linkage, replaced the filter and cleaned the valve body and it still dose nothing, my uncle told me to pull the lines to the trans cooler to see if there was any presure and there is none in any of the gears. what im woundering is how do i tell if its the torque converter or the trans that went bad and if there is any other test i can do to trouble shoot and find the problem.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means, but it sounds like it lost the pump. No pressure=no go. Time for a rebuild or a manual transmission swap.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre looking to do a manual swap, i have a 4 spd forsale

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it weren't for no pressure coming out the lines, I would say to shift the Tcase around.
When I got my 94 the high side was out, would only move with it in low. Didn't make any extra noises either. It was the pto version and I sold it for parts to a member. Way under estimated shipping. Lol
And not to steer you away from IDIoit, but I would never go to a 4 speed when I could get a 5 speed. Lol Though it would be an upgrade from what you have.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have a trans shop near by like AAMCO drag it to them for a free test. But like posted. I'm thinking your C6 is in need of an overhaul. They are not hard to repair and not expensive to fix right.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i also have a c-6 behind a 460 im getting rid of.
you can have that. FREE
if you know how to mess with these..
it ran. parts mabe?