Need to replace drain plug on 1356 t-case. Galvanic corrosion?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So somebody in the past has slightly boogered up the drain plug on my 1356 t-case, but thankfully I was able to loosen without further damage--why do people put those things in so damn tight? Anyways, I want to replace the drain plug and was wondering if galvanic corrosion is much of a concern here or am I just overthinking things? I do use PTFE paste on the threads when reinstalling the plugs so that may delay/reduce corrosion. So far I cannot find a replacement magnesium plug but the search continues.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it straight threads or pipe theads....? I can't remember...

But...it would seem that using the pipe thread sealer would fix any potential problems...just use anything that will fit...
why do people put those things in so damn tight?
Fear of leaking is a powerful motivator...especially when they don't hold a lot of fluid...
am I just overthinking things?
Don't be fearful of this tendency...it will keep you busy and entertained at worst and out of trouble at best...always worked for me...

Just my .02...

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just went with some brass pipe plugs so at least there's more to grab onto should things get tight. I guess when I was first started teaching myself how to perform automotive repairs I learned early on that "tight enough" actually was tight enough and that every fastener/threaded item need not be torqued until it can't be moved any further. But we all learn at different rates.