Miss Kitty Make Over

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread to keep me on task and not clog up the What Did You Do With Your Truck Today... with my progress or lack there of.

Named because Gun Smoke is one of my favorite shows, Miss Kitty can slap you around and set you straight when you are headed down the wrong path and smoked as much as this truck can till cancer set her on the right path...hopefully I can get this truck on the right path too.

Bought 10 years ago from the original owner who bought it new in California to use with a slide in bed camper. Soon after they discovered it was slow as "F" and had a Banks Turbo installed at the Banks Shop. They moved to Evergreen CO in the 90's and it became a work truck for their asphalt biz.

I bought it to replace a '69 F250 so I could use it for my HVAC biz when needing to haul roof top units. At that time I just had a E150 with the 4.9...was a workhorse and even though it was bought as a temp van I ended up using it for 7 years. I miss that van...bought for $600 and sold for $500 and is probably still making money.

Since then I bought a Express 2500 that I use for my biz and to haul the trailer when needed. Sadly Miss Kitty has been a bit neglected since then. Plan is to refresh and test many of the needed functions of the truck. Most of the basic parts are in hand but waiting on a starter from DB Electrical before getting to motivated.

You must be registered for see images attach

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to start on return lines and also replace as much rubber line today. Trying to figure out the routing of lines that go to the water separator on the driver firewall. I'm thinking it comes from the tanks and then crosses over to the lift pump? If so that seems goofy and would like to relocate over to the pump/filter side so they're all grouped together. Thanks for any input.

Also...does the coffee can vac reservoir only service the cruise control or the brakes and hvac too. I'm 86ing the cruise since it didnt work and the steering components were trashed. Trying to clean up the engine compartment as much as possible.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nero.

I found the in and out for the water separator on the back of the wheel well so I will jump the steel lines with a piece of rubber and delete till she's up and running again.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's what most people do. If you want, you can install an aftermarket water separator somewhere along the feed line.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled all the returns, rerouted the one off the back hard line since it goes to rubber and the lower clamp to steel again is just about impossible to service. Came down back of the fender well and cut steel line down there to re-attach.

Usually the passenger return crosses over behind the engine but mine was on the front side and when it comes into the left of the hard return line I could see that it might pinch. Do you think they did this to avoid running under the turbo do to heat?

Also...read many disputes about deleting return line that goes from passenger side to fuel filter...I'm a minimalist and few connection means fewer leak potential. What's all the back and forth about deleting return line from filter to passenger side?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There's two parts to it. One argument to keep it is it helps purge air out of the filter when you replace it. The argument to get rid of it is it's a potential air intrusion location causing hard starts. Most of us have done away with it.