Knocking pistons?

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Looking at possibly purchaseing this truck but the motor has a really loud knocking that follows the rpm of the truck.

I got to the lot a little late, so I will be back in the morning to check fluid levels. However I'm thinking it might be a piston knocking or the cam clipping. I recorded a short video but the audio isn't as clear on sound level. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7RoiGap8Lc

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a recognized screen name is a great idea when emailing me.;Sweet
that to me is a lazy injector.
i have the same noise in my '92 since 2006 and it hasn't gotten any worse.cookoo

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
a recognized screen name is a great idea when emailing me.;Sweet
that to me is a lazy injector.
i have the same noise in my '92 since 2006 and it hasn't gotten any worse.cookoo

Ok, so in theory a new set of injectors would bring this beast back into order. Could this also be a result of it not being driven on a regular basis?

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in theory a new set of injectors would bring this beast back into order. Could this also be a result of it not being driven on a regular basis?

If you do buy it, try using lots of fuel treatment and work the engine hard afterwards. These diesels are work horses and need to be used properly. sitting around and not being used for extended periods of time is not too good for them.

Try the fuel treatment first - is cheap and usually very effective as it helps clean out the fuel system. New fuel filters might help. New injectors are around $250 for a set, so that is not too bad and you will then know what you have in the truck.

HTH

mariner

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That may just be an injector but. It might be a rocker or lifter too. Its not likely to be a glow plug tip stuck in a piston crown or a piston slapping the cylinder walls either.. These engines have around 40 thousands piston to head clearance. Sometimes they drop a glow plug tip. Then it gets imbeded in the piston crown or blown out the exhaust.. Finding the problem may cost you some but it still sounds like a good engine. I also hear another idi running in the back ground.:sly

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I agree with Gary. Lifter or rocker problem. Maybe a bent pushrod, maybe a stuck lifter.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
I also hear another idi running in the back ground.:sly

Yes there is another IDI in the background, if you are interested in that one they are willing to sell it for $700 and it's located in CA. It is a used U-Haul 14' box truck, MAJOR oil leak and the C-6 trans is shot to hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeshmoe72