Help Truck won't move

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been replacing my brakes on my truck bc on the way to the parts store to get brake parts the truck just stopped moving after applying the brakes. I thought it was a brake issue bc the front driver side rotor was chewed up and the bad was actually hooked to the rotor. I had to gun the truck over 4krpm to get to the side of the road. I got in the truck today to start her up and test the brakes in my drive and nothing. The engine revs and once I get 4krpm it seems like it starts to move foward just a little bit but nothing. Checked the trans fluid does not smell burnt, a tad low, and a decent color. The t-case was defiantly low but had fluid in it. Thinking back when doing the brakes I did notice the rear wheels where not spinning freely, did not think anything of it til now. So what is my next diagnostic step. Truck is a 94 7.3 turbo super cab e4od.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E4OD is in limp mode, and is trying to move in 3rd or 4th. Manually select 1 to be able to drive it around in low gear.

You'll need to read the codes on it and see why it went into limp mode.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BD thanks, that is what I figured. I just had it towed (free) to local trusted shop. Who said they will diagnose for free. Hopefully nothing to serious. Fingers crosses. Once again thank you BD and all the members you all have been patient lifesavers time and again for an amateur shade tree mechanic like me. THANK YOU!

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that fuse issue before. If that were the case the tach would not be working and it is.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop her in first gear and try to move about. If it's still not moving, you have a seized brake or internal tranny failure.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have a seized brake myself when it got really cold. Banged on the axle with a mallet and it came loose. Couldn't move at all.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the mechanic left me a message while I was at work. The prognosis is bad. He'd said internal mechanical failure of the trany. I do not know if he pulled any codes. Im going to call and ask if he did/will do to make sure it was not an electrical issue that caused the failure. If he did not pull codes what test should he be doing to pull the code. I know there is a couple just not sure which one would be the right one. He quoted me $2750 to do the rebuild on the trany. Does that sound in the right ball park. Anything else I should ask of him or make sure he does when doing the rebuild. I am no way capable or have the time to learn to do a tranny rebuild. So I am paying someone to do it. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think, from what your saying if I read it right, you have a brake problem. I would sure jack it up and check each wheel to make sure it turns free. Sure, they will rebuild any trans, there in the business to make money.
You say the trans fluid is a tad low, how low? How did you get to 4K RPM, these are governed at 3200 RPM. Sure don't sound like a tranny problem, but I could be wrong.

Rereading your post, I think you answered your own problem.
Thinking back when doing the brakes I did notice the rear wheels where not spinning freely, did not think anything of it til now.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid was between the hot full and cold full marks more towards the cold full when the engine was cold. I just the tach go up it might of stopped at 3200 I was try to watch tach, steer, and not get plowed into. The brakes where an issue. However I do not know if they are related, or one caused the other, or just a fate that both failed at the same time. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

Oldbull are you saying it is an issue with the tranny.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder if it also has a rubber brake line that is failing internally. They will create a flap, that acts like a 1 way valve. You step on the brake pedal, it pushed fluid past it, when you release the pedal, it pops out and blocks the hose. Seen many do that.... may have bled off by the time the hook got there.......

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it does OK in manual low gear, but acts up in D, you can narrow it down to the tranny.

Wait wait, $2700 for a tranny rebuild??? It better have titanium internals and nanobots that repair the clutch materials.

Last edited:

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No in low gear it still revs really high and barely moves. I thought it seemed steep since I can get a brand new trannny from ford dealership for 2500