Glow Plug Wire Connector Replacement

rburt

Reaction score
Howdy Guys! Wanting some advice/comments/suggestions. Need to replace brittle and worn out glow plug wire connectors on my 90 f250 7.3 idi. My plan - purchase #8 butt connectors, drill out only the crimp and leave the metal sleeve in. Done. At this point, GP wire does not fit snugly into butt connector, and has a little play in it. This is what I am thinking of doing. Apply heat shrink to the bullet connector on wire to take up this space, then apply some silicone gasket maker to the heat shrink (for adhesion) and then slip on butt connector, let it sit for about an hour or so to let the silicone set, and then apply heat shrink to seal end. Workable solution?

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the blue bullet female crimps with heat shrink to fix a couple on my harness. They don't fit quite as tight as the originals but they do slip on fairly well. A tight fit is key they move a lot of juice when the glow plugs cycle. If you don't you might get the "clicky clicky" noise from the GP controller which is usually a bad GP but could be your connection.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy Guys! Wanting some advice/comments/suggestions. Need to replace brittle and worn out glow plug wire connectors on my 90 f250 7.3 idi. My plan - purchase #8 butt connectors, drill out only the crimp and leave the metal sleeve in. Done. At this point, GP wire does not fit snugly into butt connector, and has a little play in it. This is what I am thinking of doing. Apply heat shrink to the bullet connector on wire to take up this space, then apply some silicone gasket maker to the heat shrink (for adhesion) and then slip on butt connector, let it sit for about an hour or so to let the silicone set, and then apply heat shrink to seal end. Workable solution?
Before you do all that, I was thinking of just putting shrink wrap on the original connector. I think that is the main problem, the plastic that holds tension on the original connector crumbles away and the original connector loses tension. Do you think the shrink wrap would restore this tension?

I wish I would have tried this first, I went with the blue crimp bullet connectors. They fit ok.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Maybe, I have a new glow plug harness sitting on the shelf from ididiesel.com and thats how the bullet connectors are done, but it does look like a thick rubber heat shrink, not the hardware store special kind.

Ill try to post a picture but idk how anymore because i would always upload from tapatalk app but it seems OB isnt on there anymore, need to look into this

Attachments

• 67A1AF9B-BCC2-48E5-88B9-895DDA67447F.jpeg
    67A1AF9B-BCC2-48E5-88B9-895DDA67447F.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: