Fuel Leak at Lift Pump

Tizzy

Reaction score
All,

A week ago I had another lift pump fail on me. That one was a Carter and lasted about a year. Luckily I had already ordered a Motercraft and had it on stand by. Installed the new pump…now I have a fuel leak at the connector to the lift pump. Are the fuel connector lines from the filter to pump supposed to have o-rings in them? I have searched and came up with responses on “olives” but unfortunately I can’t find anything on how they are applied. Should I just get a new line?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a compression fitting so no o rings or seals are needed. Maybe a dumb question, but did you cross thread the hut on the end of the hard line or not get it quite tight enough?

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the end fitting at the lift pump end.

I know the end of the line at the filter has an olive in it. It was well aged and coming apart but still took some application of flame to get it all out of the fitting.... might put a zip-tie on the line before you loosen the fitting end up all the way so you don't have to chase it down the line....

Tizzy

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help. IDIBronco, I don’t believe I cross threaded the nut. When I discovered leak I snugged it up a bit just to make sure it was tight enough, and it still leaked. I might try to unthread it and reattach it later this afternoon just to make sure it is attached correctly.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's a compression fitting so no o rings or seals are needed.

3/8" inverted flare actually, but yes, no seal.

The parts needed if bypassing/deleting the mechanical pump, without chopping up the original lines. (Union comes in 2pk, only 1 needed). Just showing for reference, that's what I used on the 85 E350, so that's definitely what it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: