Engine temps

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
So I drove the truck 400 miles yesterday nonstop pulling an empty but HEAVY 20' bumper pull trailer with A/C on and 100+ temps with no relief, the gauges pretty much looked like this the entire time except when I rolled through a few small towns the temps would drop and when I pulled a few long grades and kept my foot in it the temps got up to the L of NORMAL.

You must be registered for see images attach

Before I added all my new go-fast goodies the temps hardly ever got to the very first of the word NORMAL, is this typical for turbocharged diesels to run this much hotter?

I have an aluminum 3 core radiator, 2 puller 14" e-fans, 50/50 antifreeze and water, coolant filter with 8 dca's, using the trans cooler built into the rad to cool my powersteering fluid, air to water intercooler with 2 10" push fans, no holes in bumper for air flow(I plan to fix that on next bumper) stock thermostat, and a brand new water pump.

One other thing, it seemed that if I lowered the air speed from the A/C it would run cooler, would this be because the condenser is putting off less heat?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Possibliy but you really need to think about what the condenser is doing. First off the condenser is getting the same amount of freon pumped theu it no matter what the fan is set for. So my answer might be a yes. The condenser is giving off more heat if the fanis on high. I really have not given this fan on high much thought. I know the alternater is working harder when the fan is on high but is that causing more work to be done by the engine....:dunno You just may have found the edge of your cooling system ability to cool properly.:sly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
68 MPH--2200 RPM--Temp at norM^Al--A/C on, Looks pretty normal to me, pullig a heavy trailer. If the fan clutch didn't kick in, you should be in great shape. A real temp gage would be more accurate to show actual numbers. That temp will help with the MPG's, you really want to run a diesel hot. Although you have to much fuel. :D

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
With all your added goodies.....no real temp* gauge???? :confused:

When i'm working the camper hard, the gauges always seem to read higher, but my real gauges says differently.

I have a IH 180* thermostat in my 6.9 and it runs around 185-190 on the highway, and the fan clutch locks in at around 195*.

No matter what, it's never been over 210* and that's in the Arizona desert 110*+ weather, A/C full blast and some not steep, but very long hills, where speed would drop around 40-45mph.

You really need a real gauge to be sure, who knows, maybe your running to hot without knowing it, or you still fine without knowing it....

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Possibliy but you really need to think about what the condenser is doing. First off the condenser is getting the same amount of freon pumped theu it no matter what the fan is set for. So my answer might be a yes. The condenser is giving off more heat if the fanis on high. I really have not given this fan on high much thought.you should make more long drives, stuff like that is all that goes through my mind while driving I know the alternater is working harder when the fan is on high but is that causing more work to be done by the engine....:dunno You just may have found the edge of your cooling system ability to cool properly.:any advice to raise the bar of my system? My next bumper will have way better means of allowing air flow

68 MPH--2200 RPM--Temp at norM^Al--A/C on, Looks pretty normal to me, pullig a heavy trailer. If the fan clutch didn't kick in, you should be in great shape. A real temp gage would be more accurate to show actual numbers. That temp will help with the MPG's, you really want to run a diesel hot. Although you have to much fuel. :D

not that it really matters but I was goin 73, and no fan clutch 4 e-fans goin non stop...

If I turn down my pump will that lower the temps some? What will it do to my power(I'm really enjoying it, almost ran over a durashit pullin an empty regular 14' bumper pull trailer yesterday, very satisfying.;Sweet)

With all your added goodies.....no real temp* gauge???? :confused:

You really need a real gauge to be sure, who knows, maybe your running to hot without knowing it, or you still fine without knowing it....

One is in the works, haven't had time yet.