C6 Torque Converter Prime

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to the location and angle of the torque converter I planned on priming it with a 1/2 quart after installing.
Made up a hose on a funnel and inserted it into the hole.
I only tried a small amount and sure enough it pretty much just ran out.
The drain hole is on the back so access is not possible as the nuts are already torqued with red thread lock.
Wondering if there is a way to get some atf in there before installing the transmission.
Would hate to burn up a brand new converter on startup.
The truck broke down on a slope facing up, so the converter is pointing downward at a little lower than 3:00.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not think anyone ever has burnt up a torque convertor running it dry till you get fluid in the trans. Never heard of one case of it happening.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not think anyone ever has burnt up a torque convertor running it dry till you get fluid in the trans. Never heard of one case of it happening.
I haven’t either, that said, I haven’t worked on an auto transmission since the 80’s during my hot rod days.
Been reading too many c6 articles and they’re starting to rot my mind.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The drain hole is on the back so access is not possible as the nuts are already torqued with red thread lock.
That's funny. I've never heard of a torque convertor with a drain plug on the back. You couldn't get to it when servicing so it doesn't even make sense. They should be on the front side which faces the engine. That way you can rotate the engine until the drain plug's at the bottom so that you can remove and reinstall it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's funny. I've never heard of a torque convertor with a drain plug on the back. You couldn't get to it when servicing so it doesn't even make sense. They should be on the front side which faces the engine. That way you can rotate the engine until the drain plug's at the bottom so that you can remove and reinstall it.

The RV's C6. The upper hole had the torque converter drain plug in it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RV's C6. The upper hole had the torque converter drain plug in it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I briefly thought about trying to use it, but as you probably already know that 3:00-6:00 position is the only access.
Suppose I could work it to the 3 and fill 1/4 full.
But as was already mentioned, it probably wouldn't be bothered as oil would be circulated before it even started.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost all of the early fords had a convertor drain plug.
The minute the engine starts ,if the trans is pumpung its filling the convertor, I have always poured in a cup of fluid, installed and ran, hundreds, never an issue.

You are going to regret that red loctite if you have to remove it. New correct nuts torqued to spec will never loosen.