1993 7.3IDI Turbo vs 1994 7.3 IDI Turbo

JFMac

Reaction score
All, urgent and desperate for knowledge. Not a great place to be.

After two calls to Banks, I am not sure if they do or do not know what they are talking about. I am looking at getting the sidewinder kit. They say it is great for 1993 IDI and IDI with Factory Turbo. I continue to tell them mine is not a Powerstroke just a 1994 IDI Factory Turbo (with truck manufacture dat of sept 1993.) what makes it worst he suggested I get a power pack and the one suggested is for a powerstroke ‍

So anyone that knows, is the 93 7.3L IDI Factory Turbo the same Engine as the 94 7.3L IDI with Factory Turbo?

Thanks for any accurate information in advance.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
They are similar. There are differences, but you can throw a turbo on both of them with similar performance.
I also second, look at getting an ats 093 kit, would be less money as well than a banks kit.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy that prototyped the idi stuff @ banks is only available by request.
The rest are selling modern ****.
If you specifically ask for 80's turbo tech, you'll get gale or the aforementioned individual....

Whatcha actually need?

Btw
The 093 aftermarket kit didn't have the flow restricted base ford ordered so the idi wouldn't have stroke power #'s...
Yea you need a computer control for an idi

RIIIIIIIGHT

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree with Kdo85. Since you already have a turbo, I think it would be a waste of money to buy another complete kit. The Factory Turbo/093 are WAY more upgradable than any other turbo kit out there. Plus you can buy a good upgrade for the same or less than the cost of a complete kit.

DougBoy66

Reaction score
continue to tell them mine is not a Powerstroke just a 1994 IDI Factory Turbo
I have the same problem. I have a 94 also and since they are idi up until 94.5 and powerstroke from 94.5 on. Sometimes it help to reference that is a VIN K model ( for 94's only) it gets messed up on some parts with the motor changing but having the same displacement halfway through the year. I will usually also check/cross reference parts for 93 model to see if the results are the same. I am pretty sure 92 to 94.5 are the same turbo set ups

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I had always taken for granted the 93-94 were the revised engine design when equiped with a turbo; and that anything prior was a standard IDI with a turbo added on - either aftermarket or dealer.

That's not to rule out the same turbocharger may have been carried over.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kdo85. Since you already have a turbo, I think it would be a waste of money to buy another complete kit. The Factory Turbo/093 are WAY more upgradable than any other turbo kit out there. Plus you can buy a good upgrade for the same or less than the cost of a complete kit.
Only thing that I personally dislike about ATS as a company is the fact that they no longer support these kits… but hey at least plenty of other people do.

And I also think the 093 kits make the engine quite a bit more difficult to work on, than say an 088 or… Hypermax…

All the kits have their ups and downs, so there’s not really much good reason to switch one kind of kit for another… the first gen Banks and 085 kits may be valid exceptions, they just don’t have the same amount of punch, or support, as the other, newer kits.

Only Banks and Hypermax have full customer service/ support for their kits, Banks no longer does for their older kits (first gen non gated), Hypermax still does for every kit they’ve made, ever.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
if you already have a turbo IDI, why are you looking to get a new "brand" turbo set up, and not just upgrade the ATS turbo setup you have?

the 93 and early 94 year model trucks are the only ones that came with the ATS turbo set ups installed from ford, some dealers would install turbos and sell them as turbo idis but most of the time when someone refers to a factory turbo idi they are referring to those built by ford.

My 94 factory turbo idi has a build date of 11/93

Ive installed a wicked wheel II, upgraded the down pipe, and have the exhaust ceramic coated. Im not going to win any drag races, but I get from point A to Point B reliably

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
After two calls to Banks, I am not sure if they do or do not know what they are talking about. ... what makes it worst he suggested I get a power pack and the one suggested is for a powerstroke ‍

I fear this phenomenon is quickly becoming the norm. This stuff is 30yo, and salespeople in the business now weren't around then to know all the production-year (and mid-year) nuances.