Yet another heads thread

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Heads are on and torqued with the head studs.

Started putting my rocker levers and push tubes on, went to bar the engine over, got valve to piston clearance issues.

Called Justin, he said I need to take the cam followers out and bleed the oil out of them.

Did two cylinders, sure as hell, makes a complete difference putting it together.

Fun never ends I swear.

Gonna try to get er running before the weekend is over.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I have a good portion of the engine together, valve covers, intake, exhaust, just need to do injectors, pump, turbo, intercooler, so it'll be a minute before I'm ready to try cranking on it.

Since I drained the tappets, is there a procedure to re prime them so a push tube doesn't fall out and screw things up? Or just crank it til oil pressure comes up?

Edit,
Just found on another forums, bleeding the lifters and starting it up without them pumped up is what you are supposed to do, they will auto adjust.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Today was definitely productive. Valley pan, intake, push tubes, rockers, valve covers, injectors, pump, turbo, up pipe, crossover and down pipe all in. I also bolted up both accessory brackets, so just a short list of things to do tomorrow then its firing up time. Man I'm so exited, I miss my truck.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so i understand correctly, if you are using brand new lifters on a rebuild you dont have to bleed them? Im doing a full rebuild and my piston clearance checks out. I realize you are just replacing the heads so just want to confirm. those new heads look sweet. hope you get back together and running this weekend. Im over the rain already!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just so i understand correctly, if you are using brand new lifters on a rebuild you dont have to bleed them? Im doing a full rebuild and my piston clearance checks out. I realize you are just replacing the heads so just want to confirm. those new heads look sweet. hope you get back together and running this weekend. Im over the rain already!
When I spoke to Justin, he said he originally used to clean and reuse lifters, but time wise it was cheaper to replace them when he builds engines, time wise.

To be fair, it did take me almost 2 hours to clear mine out. But I had already installed my push tubes and rockers, so I had to take mine off and reinstall them.

So to clarify, new lifters you should be good to go to just drop in and go. Just verify they compress by hand is all. After I drained all the oil out of mine I can compress all of mine with some effort.

Just for safe measure and peace of mind, I barred my engine over I swear 10 times to verify no piston to valve arguments of space occupation debates wasn't an issue.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also, didnt realize you were so close. Over here in beaveron, have family in mollola.

Rain started really coming down when I was installing my collector and crossover pipe. Go figure.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info Nero. Good to know about the lifters, I had no idea it would affect clearance. Makes sense. I really didnt want tear into my freshly sealed engine! Sounds like you are close to getting things all buttoned up. Look me up if you are in the area or need a dry shop. Enough with the rain already.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Daughter lives in Tigard.
You can always tell some one from Oregon,
they have Moss growing on their north side.
:rotflmao

Goat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726