New truck... Odd noise... DMF???

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I just bought a beauty. If I could figure out how to get some pics up I would show it off! Its a 91 XLT Lariat CC with the ZF5, ATS 088 and the most comfortable front and rear captain seats I have ever sat in. I have only owned it 3 days and I absolutely LOVE this truck.

Anyway my concern is the noise that I hear when sitting at an idle. Sounds like the fly wheel is hitting something in the bottom of the bell housing and bouncing it around randomly. It goes away when I press the clutch petal. I don't think it is the trow out bearing--I have had those go bad in the past and they don't make this sound.

What happens when the dual mass flywheels go bad? I'm thinking that this could be the problem. There is no vibration or weird clutch engagement/disengagement though. If I were to plug my ears I wouldn't know there was a problem... What do you think? It is very hard to describe without having you actually hear it, but I know it can't be good.

The clutch assembly, flywheel, transmission, slave and master cylinder have all been replaced in the last few years by the PO. Is there anyway to see if the flywheel is bad without pulling the trans off the motor? Thanks a bunch guys for any help or thoughts!

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
take off the flywheel cover underneath if its still there, then you can move the inside of the flywheel and its it has over 5/8 its worn out.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha mine is worn out, try about an inch of play. I know what you mean about the noise, its clattering, off beat, noise right?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I'll check it today ;Sweet

its clattering, off beat, noise right?

That's it exactly! Lame... It's too cold out to pull my transmission :( What happens if I let it go till spring? probably a bad move...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Mine has over an inch of play in it. Clatter drives me crazy.
I'm thinking come spring I might do the Lucky mod. I didn't have time when I did the trans swap. The clutch I put in has the springs in the disc sI should be set.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think the DMF is driving you crazy, wait till you bolt the DMF together or put a solid flywheel in. I have been pushing snow the last 4 days and what a racket it makes idling around parking lots and driveways moving snow around. Just pretend you are in a medium size dump truck I guess.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It might make me nuts too, I guess. But at least I'll know that it isn't coming apart on some lonely highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online