Camshaft

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just got off the phone with the cam shop. They dont have any hard data onthe IDI.But they have a customer that does the GM diesel with the same grind they have a 12% increase in torque and HP. And the boost and torque numbers come is 200rpm sooner.
this is on an engine dyno not a chassis so the gain will be less% on a rolling road.

He says if someone wants to do a before and after dyno test ,he will drop the price on one cam 40.00 to get some numbers.
This needs to be someone with a timing meter so it can be set the same before and after for the best accuracy.
Any takers.??

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had the time....

12% is nothing to sneeze at. Combine that with a good exhaust and you have a low cost alternative to buying a turbo for a lot of guys out there.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'll do it if he comes up here to do it lol

I have access to a chassis dyno, so we can get some true "to the road" numbers

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
nice, real nice. 12% of 185 is like 207 and 378 torque.... with an exhaust, better intake (custom cold air ad like a banks lid with a little bump play) i bet u can hit 220 hp N/A...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
nice, real nice. 12% of 185 is like 207 and 378 torque.... with an exhaust, better intake (custom cold air ad like a banks lid with a little bump play) i bet u can hit 220 hp N/A...

i feel like my engine has close to that, and i may be way wrong, but my truck will out run a 1st gen stock psd, which has what 210hp

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i feel like my engine has close to that, and i may be way wrong, but my truck will out run a 1st gen stock psd, which has what 210hp
Your first trip on the rollers will be a humbling experience.
all you have to do is take a look at the numbers posted from this last summer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just got off the phone with the cam shop. They dont have any hard data onthe IDI.But they have a customer that does the GM diesel with the same grind they have a 12% increase in torque and HP. And the boost and torque numbers come is 200rpm sooner.
this is on an engine dyno not a chassis so the gain will be less% on a rolling road.

He says if someone wants to do a before and after dyno test ,he will drop the price on one cam 40.00 to get some numbers.
This needs to be someone with a timing meter so it can be set the same before and after for the best accuracy.
Any takers.??
russ-
my truck is dire need of a cam and lifters. I will get a hold of "big Jake" and drop in on one of his roller events and get a baseline. I can even supply my own cam cores:D Don't get me wrong, with the turbo and plumbing I have on top of my motor, this isn't going to be a whole lot of fun to do.cookoo

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Your first trip on the rollers will be a humbling experience.
all you have to do is take a look at the numbers posted from this last summer.

yea im sure it will be crazy low, but i mean i also run alot different timing than most, and i dont have one of them gauges that allows you to know what your egts are and worry about them, so i think i might make a little more, but we will see when i finally get a chance to hit the rollers

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea im sure it will be crazy low, but i mean i also run alot different timing than most, and i dont have one of them gauges that allows you to know what your egts are and worry about them, so i think i might make a little more, but we will see when i finally get a chance to hit the rollers
you be suprised... timing doesn't make horsepower or torque. all it does is move the curve up or down the scale a little. I spent most of my teenage and adult years building, tuning(before it was a popular term) and racing GM big blocks. It takes a large amount of time and money to build a high HP race winning car. Fortunately I worked under one of the nation's best sprint car motor builders for his time and I learned (and have forgotten unfortunately) much he has taught me. My schooling was in stock appearing SBC and I applied what I learned to stock appearing BB Buick. Record? I have wins and winning timeslips to back my ********.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you be suprised... timing doesn't make horsepower or torque. all it does is move the curve up or down the scale a little. I spent most of my teenage and adult years building, tuning(before it was a popular term) and racing GM big blocks. It takes a large amount of time and money to build a high HP race winning car. Fortunately I worked under one of the nation's best sprint car motor builders for his time and I learned (and have forgotten unfortunately) much he has taught me. My schooling was in stock appearing SBC and I applied what I learned to stock appearing BB Buick. Record? I have wins and winning timeslips to back my ********.

its just weird how high timing makes my engine feels a hell of alot more power then when stock timing

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree with towcat that the rollers can be humbling, I think there is underappreciated merit to a properly running motor tuned for its application. The reality is what works for pulling is not the best deal on a track, and neither would be the perfect street machine.

All that to say my dd (86 na) has given a good run to several gen 1 psd's...she aint fast, she is just running like she should, and most of the trucks around her are not.

while the numbers dont lie, its not always about the numbers...

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Russ, lets get Punk involved and we can use my truck. As you know its totally stock for now. I'm just not sure where to get it dyno'd.
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726